Models are missing half their triangles.

Started by
11 comments, last by JoshuaWaring 10 years, 10 months ago

The OBJ format is deceptive. It's pretty quick to write a parser for it, but it has plenty of gotchas, such as only being suitable for static meshes, since it has no support for bones or keyframes. Nor can it store what the X, Y and Z axes actually correspond to it, it's purely up to the exporting application, and a major headache if you're sourcing models from artists that use different 3d modellers.

I started with .OBJ, but more recently switched to a combination of COLLADA (exported from blender) and a custom binary format of my own making (created from the COLLADA file at build time), and I don't regret it for a second.

[size="2"]Currently working on an open world survival RPG - For info check out my Development blog:[size="2"] ByteWrangler
Advertisement

Considering it's pretty much my first time using files. It's quite a good learning project.

It's now come to my realization that std::string functions are rather consuming and went from a 20s load to a 7s load on a either 150K or 300K triangle model.

For anyone who's interest, this is the progress made so far with the loader.

https://github.com/Joshhua5/DirectXEducationalProjects/tree/master/Lighting%20-%20Material%20Loader

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement