Windows 8 Game Development

Started by
4 comments, last by GrimmBro 10 years, 9 months ago

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've been doing game dev but I've decided to get back into it. I've mostly been doing webapps, and mobile apps but have done some game dev in the past.

I am looking at creating a 2D side scrolling game for Windows 8 and was wondering what engine would be best to do it in? I'm leaning towards either MonoGame or Unity. Any other suggestions are welcome

I'm pretty comfortable in developing in any language but may need to ramp up a lot with C/C++.

Thanks!

Advertisement

I'm leaning towards either MonoGame or Unity

Both Monogame and Unity are great at what they do, but they're very different things.

Unity is an entire engine, complete with level, particle and animation editors. It has a number of scripting languages that you can use to interact with the engine, including C# and JavaScript. The free version is fairly limited though, you can't use render targets so you don't get any form of post processing.

Monogame is a framework; it provides a nice API for common programming tasks relating to game development. I've been using Monogame for about six months now, and really like working with it. It has the added benefit of an active development community & forums. You do still need the Windows Phone SDK installed (at least you did when I last checked) since it doesn't have it's own content processing pipeline yet.

Awesome, thanks for the explanation.

I may choose to go with MonoGame as it seems like it would give me better practice and a better understanding of making my own engine. I don't mind spending the time trying to write my own since it'll be good practice!

Are there any suggestions between other than MonoGame or Unity?

Marmalade is currently running a promotion. If you build a Win8 app or game using their software you'll get a free Indie license plus you could win a free Win8 device.

https://www.madewithmarmalade.com/wp8

Thanks! I'll definitely take a look at marmalade as well! The perks are very interesting ;)

Rapid2D is worth checking out; would definitely recommend.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement