I have potential, but I'll need some help...

Started by
6 comments, last by DareDeveloper 10 years, 9 months ago

Hi! I'm a guy that doesn't know much about programming and is seeking some help for making a game. Sounds pretty simple, right? Well, there's a bit more than that.

I've learned a lot about game development, actually. I know how stressing it is to make a game -- all the music, graphics, design, and, UGH, programming. I've learned more or less what the dos and don'ts are when it comes to making a game, and I've even had a bit of experience actually making stuff for a game, even. From that, I've made several ideas for a video game, and eventually narrowed them down to certain conclusions, what one should come first, which one would be too hard or too easy, which one would be popular, etc.

But, the epitome of why I'm asking on this site, is as defined by my ugh: the awfully tedious, disorienting, WHY SHOULD IT EVEN EXIST IT'S SO HARD programming. I've tried to look down what paths would be good for programming my game idea I have, but it's giving me a heart attack to decide which path would be either the BEST one, or better than most, depending on my circumstances. The main reason I'm stuck here is, I'm pretty incapable of thinking in techincal terms, sadly. I can barely see how code works even in readability languages, and I get overwhelmed pretty easily. I'm more than capable to understand something in objectified terms, but computer coding just isn't my thing.

But when it comes to just about anything else, I'm all for it... I can handle music, I can handle graphics, and I can handle specifc game designing. I'm more of a creative person than a techniccal person, so everything else but coding goes, to put it bluntly.

About my game idea itself, though? As said, I've thought about that pretty well. Currently, I want to focus on a game that's going to be more like a builder, but can still be under many circumstances a game. It'll be about turn-based battling, like in a lot of 2D RPGs, so it'll have thing like playable characters, items, enemies, bosses, and such. However, there's a catch: you can create your own things in it. Essentially everything that's in the game can be recreated without the need of programming. So you can create your own things, and what's better is that you can package the files you created, send it over the internet, and someone else can download that stuff and use it just as easily as you can. It's like game modding/hacking, but with the fact that it's the way the game is made.

However, need to get back to my problem, though. Could someone give me advice about what path of programming would be best to take with this idea? Or if someone could help me in the process?

Advertisement

If computer coding isn't your thing, then maybe you should focus on your strengths rather than your weaknesses. Nobody is (or has to be) good at everything, that's why most games (and other non-trivial software) are made by more than one dude. If you've tried really hard but just can't get the hang of it, maybe that's all there is to it - it's not a bad thing. I couldn't draw or make music to save my life, and I know people who are good with programming and music but aren't so good at artwork. Sure some people are good at all three, but you'll find they'll have issues with other things that you (or other people) may be skilled at.

With that disclaimer out of the way, the first step to learn game programming is to learn programming. That is, forget everything about games for now, because programming is the base of a much larger framework which encompasses not only video games, but every single program that is running on your computer. So the first step is to start with some basic programming tutorials, in the programming language of your choice. First you need to pick a language, don't fret this decision isn't permanent and is actually mostly irrelevant in the long term, but you do need to choose one quickly and not dwell endlessly on the options available to you.

So, in short, there is only one "path of programming" and it involves a lot of hard work to get more comfortable with writing code, thinking in technical terms, and reasoning about the underlying structure of a video game (how it works). Taking shortcuts to try and accomplish one particular goal will leave you with huge gaps in your knowledge, an inability to adapt to change, an inability to concretely build on what you learned to achieve any future goals, and will most likely not save you any time in the long term.

So now the question becomes: are you ready to learn programming, which will take months/years of work to become good at (like anything else)? If not, as an alternative, there are ways to make games that involve no (or little) coding, so you could look into that if you are not willing to devote the time needed to learn programming. Tools such as RPG-Maker will let you make games with relatively simple logic and scripting, and can still be quite interesting and fulfilling and make great games (though admittedly with less design freedom as a full-fledged programming language).

If you, however, are, the following links will give you starting pointers and what to expect:

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/your-first-step-to-game-development-starts-here-r2976

http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2011/08/04/I-want-to-be-a-game-developer.aspx

http://www.gamedev.net/blog/355/entry-2250592-become-a-good-programmer-in-six-really-hard-steps/

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/TommyRefenes/20130107/184432/

Once you've chosen a programming language that attracts you, then googling "[your language] tutorials" will bring up heaps of stuff for you to practise on, and this forum (as well as others on the internet) is of course available if you have any questions about something in particular relating to that language.

As a final note, once you've reached a level where you can confidently develop games like tetris or pong, with polish and with good coding practices (maintainability, reusability and so on) then you will have had a good idea of how much work goes into making even the most trivial of games, and will then be able to reason more effectively about how to go about implementing your game idea.

Make no mistake - game programming, and programming in general, can be difficult and time-consuming (although rewarding), but going at it with a "dream goal" is usually not the best way. Try thinking of it as though you were curious, and eager to learn new things, and forget your game idea for now. You might soon enough find yourself addicted to programming smile.png

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

type-a

good at programming.

so-so at art.

bad at PR.

type-b

good at art

so-so at programming.

bad at PR

type-c

good at PR

so-so at art

bad at programming

type-d

so-so at anything.

pick your poison!.

Game developing is hard because it requires multiples disiplines. So, the trick is to know the weakness and turn around it. For example, if you are bad a programming then, some platform / projects are more code-less than other. Other alternative is to "outsorcing" the problem.

And btw, it is not so hard to program (with some exceptions). Some tools and languages ARE PAINFUL HARD (c/c++) but other are pretty friendly. I know that exists some "efficiency" in some languages but, it depends in the projects. Also, there are not MERIT in work hard but in the result.

-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"

If you don't enjoy programming, you aren't going to have an easy time learning game development. Game development is hard work, and takes years of practice and research. Just work your way up slow, and don't worry about the complications.

View my game dev blog here!

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I know that it takes a lot of hard work to make a game, though I'm just not good at programming/technical stuff (yet?) is the thing. I mean, I can do everything else it takes any day, but it's just that I couldn't figure out where to start regarding programming.

Just about every single source I had read told me a different preference, and the reasons they used either were hard to make out which is better, or just didn't seem comparable at all. I also could barely think about how any of those preferences would relate with my game idea, so I decided to ask here to see if I could get some advice about what would be good for that specifically. However, one of the things in the documents Bacterius mentioned said that there's no truly best programming language to use, so I guess I'll just start working with what I'm comfortable with. (fortunately, I've already found that, it wasn't too hard and didn't need twenty sources =P)

But, as Bacterius also said, one man can't always do everything, so I might also see if I can find someone that could do the bulk of prorgramming for me. I've been a bit hesitant to do that, mostly because I'd come across as lazy, but that may be the right step to go if I can't do anything else. I'll still keep trying to program for a couple of months before I consider going down that path, though, because it takes a long time to learn programming anyway.

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I know that it takes a lot of hard work to make a game, though I'm just not good at programming/technical stuff (yet?) is the thing. I mean, I can do everything else it takes any day, but it's just that I couldn't figure out where to start regarding programming.

Just about every single source I had read told me a different preference, and the reasons they used either were hard to make out which is better, or just didn't seem comparable at all. I also could barely think about how any of those preferences would relate with my game idea, so I decided to ask here to see if I could get some advice about what would be good for that specifically. However, one of the things in the documents Bacterius mentioned said that there's no truly best programming language to use, so I guess I'll just start working with what I'm comfortable with. (fortunately, I've already found that, it wasn't too hard and didn't need twenty sources =P)

But, as Bacterius also said, one man can't always do everything, so I might also see if I can find someone that could do the bulk of prorgramming for me. I've been a bit hesitant to do that, mostly because I'd come across as lazy, but that may be the right step to go if I can't do anything else. I'll still keep trying to program for a couple of months before I consider going down that path, though, because it takes a long time to learn programming anyway.

A lot of people have personal preferences, but you need to compare all of them and decide what language to use.

View my game dev blog here!

People have successfully learned to program in many different ways, so you're going to get lots of different advice. You cannot view that as some fundamental flaw of programming. I think it's a positive that it can be learned many different ways.

You won't come across as lazy if you can show things like a good design document, music and graphics stuff ... and communicate properly with people who are interested in the project.

It is just that too many people post their ideas and think that the idea alone is worth anything.

Do some PR work, write blog posts and show images and music and you might be able to find a programmer.

Maybe you shouldn't even commit to a programming language yet. Focus on mockups, fleshing out the concepts and defining what the goals are ... things like that.

There is a site I love ... that guy does a really good job writing about his visions and plans for games:

http://androidarts.com/

Do something like that and people will see that you invest time and energy.

Given enough eyeballs, all mysteries are shallow.

MeAndVR

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement