Starting from scratch as a newcomer?

Started by
8 comments, last by Liv96 10 years, 7 months ago

Where to start, where to start, where to start

Let me first begin by introducing myself. I'm currently a female high school student, and this is my first post on this site. I have always loved video games, and would like to start learning the skills that would allow me to pursue a job in game design when I'm older. I'm a complete newbie however (a late bloomer, so to speak). I am literally the most computer illiterate, ignorant person you could ever meet when it comes to game design. The only attributes I have are a love of video games and a proficient skill in painting (I've been painting oil and acrylic landscapes seriously for about 3 years now, although I've been involved in art my whole life, and selling for about 1; I believe my artwork has reached a professional level, although I have little experience when it comes to drawing/painting people. This is the only real skill I have as of now). Anyways, I have some questions for anyone willing to answer them. I apologize beforehand if they seem naïve

1) What's the difference between 3D animation and graphic design? Are they the same thing?

2) What is the process for making art in video games? Can you give me some general steps about how one goes from point A (concept) to point B (physical product)

3) Where can I learn how to make art for video games? Where do I start? (I have no idea). What should I tackle first?

4) What are the similarities between physical painting and computer artwork?

4) What is the difference between programming and coding? (in regards to game design). How hard is it for someone with zero programming/coding experience to learn this? How can I start learning how to program/code, and what should I tackle first?

5) How do programmers/coders and artists work together? Where do their jobs intersect?

As you can see, I really have no idea about how games are made. This is my impression so far (which I'm guessing is incorrect); an artist builds a 3D model in the computer, then animates it, then paints over it. Finally, the programmer takes that 3D image, creature, or location and does "something" with it that eventually turns out as a video game (I know, lame description). If anyone could offer me some nuggets of wisdom, maybe a road map as to where I can start, I would be very grateful. I feel like there are just so many components to game design, and I have no idea where to start. It's as if video game design, unlike other skills, doesn't have just one starting point, but a dozen different ones (all of which intermingle and intersect at one point or another). Any suggestions on free programs or tutorials to help me learn would be great too

Thank you!

Advertisement

1) What's the difference between 3D animation and graphic design? Are they the same thing?

I have never worked in a AAA game company but I believe animators are usually not the same people who create the actual 3D models. After a model has been made, it will be "rigged" (that is, there will be special control 'bones' put in the model which will be used to instruct it how to move. Think of it like attaching strings to a puppet so that a puppeteer can make it dance around.Instead of strings, it's little invisible objects which are inside the 3D model).

After these bones have been put in, the animator can drag them around in a program like 3D studio max and pose the model in different ways, similar to how a stopmotion video would be made. This takes alot of time, and alot of skill to make the motion seem lifelike. To alleviate these concerns modern games will use 'motion capturing' - an actor performs the action (a roundhouse kick for example) with little reference points attached to his body. When he moves the reference points change position - these changes of position will be recorded and used to manipulate the 3D model (look up a video of motion capturing if I didn't explain this very well).

Graphic design is more about creating a friendly user interface (that is, the buttons the user can click). It would include things like making sure the "save" button looks like a floppy disk so that the user can recognize what it does without having to read the manual first.

At least, that is my interpretation of this term, could it be that you meant to say concept art?

2) What is the process for making art in video games? Can you give me some general steps about how one goes from point A (concept) to point B (physical product)

Very generally speaking:

- game designer has an idea ("I want a slimy bossmonster!")
- concept artists make a few thumbnail drawings in which he or she experiments with the design (more slime, less slime, bigger, meaner, hairier, etc)

- game designer makes a choice, the concept artists then makes a "clean" drawing in which he draws the monster front, back and sides. The idea is to really understand

what this thing will look like before a 3D artist ever touches it.

- these drawings will be given to the 3D artists who might scan or otherwise import them into a 3D modelling software (kind of like a blueprint) and begin modelling

the monster. Modelling is kind of like working with geometric clay: you start with a rough shape and gradually refine it.

It's kind of hard to explain in text but what you're doing in essence is creating a tapestry of triangles which we call "polygons". The tapestry is called a "mesh".

- after the mesh has been modelled a texture (which is a flat, 2D image which you would probably make with photoshop) is made and put onto the mesh. Think of this like

upholstering a couch - you can choose whichever color or appearence you like, the underlying shape will be the same.

- the mesh will be "rigged" (see above) and the animations will be a made (run, walk, sneeze, look angry, etc)

- model, textures, animations and all this good stuff will be imported into the game engine

3) Where can I learn how to make art for video games? Where do I start? (I have no idea). What should I tackle first?

Being able to sketch is always a plus. As with all art 3D modelling (and animation) is a matter of honing your craft which can only be done by practice, practice, practice.

Check out the books section on this website which might have a few good starting points. Experience with photoshop is highly recommended.

Well that really depends on your definition of 'computer artwork' - It will have more to do with creating textures than animating a facial expression, for example.

Most texture work will be done with photoshop and a wacom tablet. I have never made a physical painting but it's not hard to imagine you will be able to use some of your techniques in the digital realm. Your knowledge of composition and color will definitely be useful. You can never learn too much smile.png

4) What is the difference between programming and coding? (in regards to game design). How hard is it for someone with zero programming/coding experience to learn this? How can I start learning how to program/code, and what should I tackle first?

As a complete beginner, I would recommend you start with a scripting language like python. Being able to program is about learning how to "think like a programmer".

Once you can make stuff in one programming language it will be easier to transition to another one.

It's kind of like how speaking Dutch will make it alot easier to learn German: they're not "the same", but you can carry enough stuff over to pick it up faster than somebody who's starting from scratch.

coding and programming is the same thing, it's just a fun word we programmers like to use smile.png

programming and scripting is a little different, scripting basically means the code has to be "understood" by another program.

For example, if the artists for a game have to put in a few interactions with NPCs they might 'script' these interactions in a language like lua or python.

The scripts they write will be 'understood' by the game engine. The point of scripting is usually to make the job of programming easier which also enables non-programmers to create content.

5) How do programmers/coders and artists work together? Where do their jobs intersect?

Well that depends on the company ofcourse, but you can think of it kind of like a theatre production: the programmers 'build the stage', make sure the curtains open correctly and the soundsystem is turned on and the lights aren't shining in anybody's eyes.

The artists are the ones who make the cardboard backdrops and sew the costumes and make sure the props look historically accurate.

It's difficult to say where their job intersects exactly, it all works together to form a whole. My guess would be somewhere in the realm of 3D animation and scripting of ingame events or interactive audio. I can say this however: knowing how programming and artwork is produced will be helpful no matter what side of the team you're on - an artist may make the most moving piece of 3D art you've ever seen, it he didn't pay attention to the memory constraints of the game engine it will be useless smile.png

It's a long and interesting journey. All I can say is this: work hard, be patient, learn from many different sources and try to have fun (that is the point after all).

You should try to narrow down what it is you want to do. This may involve trying a little bit of everything to see what sticks. From the sound of it you have an art background, but I wouldn't let that limit you this early in the game.

There is a difference between game programming (coding), game design, and game art.

Programming, or coding, is actually implementing the logic of the game in a computer. This usually means using a programming or scripting language (like C++ or Java) to make everything work. Coding a game involves a lot of different types of tasks, from writing the 3D engine and computer graphics, to allowing the game to load and read files. Programming would say something like: "when the player is close to the door, and has a blue key, and then presses the A button, make the door open".

Game design can mean different things, but usually it involves the high-level overview of the game, or the rules of the game, the general idea of it. So a game designer may create the levels, or at least explain the theme of the level, the style of the characters or enemies, how the game should work. Game designers could also be artists, but I don't think this is always the case. Their job is mostly to describe exactly how a game should be, so the artists and programmers can implement it.

Game artists can do different things, depending on if they are 2D artists or 3D modellers. Most games will require an amount of concept art to help solidify the theme of the game. So a 2D concept artist could create the look of the characters, pictures of different levels, and things like that. Then an art director could guide or approve the work that is good, and then hand this over to a 3D artist. The 3D artist would then create a model, which would later be textured by a texture artist. If it is a character model, then it would have to be rigged (basically adding bones to the model) and someone else could animate it.

Physical painting and creating art on a computer is really not all that different. They are just different tools, just like you can draw with a pen, or paint with a brush. If you want to do computer art you should probably get yourself a Wacom tablet. It's going to be a lot easier than using a mouse. The Wacom Bamboo can be bought starting at $70. You will want one if you are trying to create art on the computer. Sometimes it is easier to do a rough sketch on paper, scan it in, and then trace over and color it on the computer. Eventually you should be able to do everything on the computer, but it might help at first.

If you want to learn programming, there are a lot of resources out there. If you want to jump head-first into game programming, try downloading the free version of Unity and messing around. You can do a lot of things with this engine for making 3D games. Although I would recommend getting a handle on how coding works first. You can try playing around with some scripting languages first (these will be easier than full-on programming languages like C++ or C#). Python is not a bad place to start:

http://www.learnpython.org/

You may also want to buy a book on getting into the game industry. It will show you what different positions are available (more than just programming and art) and also what type of skills studios will want from potential hires.

Anyway, good luck. Hope you find what you're looking for.

1) Graphic design is a somewhat overly broad term, like "artist". Generally though a graphic designer is someone that takes someone elses idea and visualizes it.

2) A Programmer's guide to making art for your game. It should get you started, at least in terms of your options.

3) Learn to make art. Then switch to video games.

4) Colour theory and similar concepts apply to both mediums. You can use a stylus/tablet to make the process feel very similar. In digitial terms this is often referred to as "natural media". For the most part though, when it comes to gaming, they are separate skills.

4 um b) Programming and coding are the same thing, although I suppose you could look at "coding" as being more specific, in that coding is the code writing portion of programming.

5) Depends on the team size. Small teams, the coders and artists are often the same people. On a large team, there are people that manage these interactions. Generally its through a design document that establishes the standards for how art assets are to be delivered.

Something that might be worth looking into is the specifics that artists have to look into depending on the game engine.

Artists often have to work within considerable constraints (limited palettes for pixel art, specific 3D filetypes or map design with culling and portal rendering).

Some artists write the shaders for example. Texture artists create things like normal maps, bump maps or dirt maps.

Depending on where you see your role you might want to take a look at some 3D software like Blender or 3D Studio Max.

Blender might be nice because it is relatively easy to follow Blender development which gives a lot of insight into how programming and art come together.

Posts like this are pretty informative: http://mango.blender.org/artwork/shading-tests-dirtmaps/

You can also take a look at their feature lists (and the feature lists of 3D engines) and look deeper into the topics that come up during the research.

I fear that you will find that it makes a lot of sense to specialize more than you probably want to.

If you still want to get into programming / coding after researching some more you can try a very basic program that uses art assets which you create (starting from basic OpenGL or DirectX tutorials ... if you use something more sophisticated like Unity there will be a lot going on under the hood that you don't understand).

That should give you a pretty good idea of how those things play together.

The developer journals are also something you might want to look at from time to time.

Given enough eyeballs, all mysteries are shallow.

MeAndVR

I'm a programmer and have very little I can tell you about art (sadly few people are good at both, but it's not impossible). GameDev.net is mostly frequented by programmers, but I know of this forum that's mostly used by game artists, which might be of use to you:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/

Also, when people tell you about the way things are done, remember it's not the always way they *have* to be done. A new approach or style is often a good thing and something new-comers to the industry might be able to offer :)

I have always loved video games, and would like to start learning the skills that would allow me to pursue a job in game design when I'm older.

Based on your post, "game design" could mean a few things.

It could mean the job of game designer. These are the people who write the rules and mechanics of the games. It is a position many people aspire to, and generally requires several years of game industry experience. Designers are generally artists, programmers, and testers who have demonstrated an ability to come up with fun game mechanics. It is easy to see who would make good game designers: they get into the guts of the rules. They play games like D&D, Magic, and complex board games, and while they are playing they get into passionate arguments about nuance in the rules.

You might also mean more of an art director role. These are the people who determine the look and feel of a game. It is one thing to say a game should look "gritty" or "cute" or "all butterflies and rainbows", or "guts and gore", or whatever. The art director turns that vague general description into something concrete. They also work with artists on what needs to change to meet the artistic style of the game.

I am literally the most computer illiterate, ignorant person you could ever meet when it comes to game design. The only attributes I have are a love of video games and a proficient skill in painting (I've been painting oil and acrylic landscapes seriously for about 3 years now, although I've been involved in art my whole life, and selling for about 1; I believe my artwork has reached a professional level, although I have little experience when it comes to drawing/painting people.

Art is probably a good path for you. The other major paths into game development are programming and QA, but as you are computer illiterate those would likely be a bad fit.

During design of the game, the art director works with concept artists to come up with how things should feel. A quick search can show the types of drawings made at this phase. Generally the concept artists will spend just a few minutes on each sketch and generate several hundred generic concepts. Some of those will be refined into drawings taking a few hours to complete. Then a small number of those will be turned into nice images that help express the concepts of the game. These concepts define the look of the world.

As specific objects are designed, the game designer and art director may have concept artists come up with concepts of specific items they want in the game. Simply stating that you want a futuristic tank or a cuddly kitten is not enough. Artists may come up with fifty different tank designs. Or for the kitten they will need concepts of the kittens quirks and animation styles.

Everything in the game needs to be created. There is much more than the main characters. There are trees, rocks, bushes, fences, cows, chickens, sheds, outhouses, homes, office buildings, cars, trucks, tanks, guns, grenades, crates, barrels, mailboxes, desks, chairs, lamps, wells, signposts, and on and on and on. Even the small games on smart phones and web pages can require many gigabytes of source material. My current game's art assets folder comes in at just over 200 GB.

When the game is implemented, it will either be done as a 3D game or a 2D game.

In a 3D game, each object is given a 3D model and texture. Generally the game designer will provide some images and a description of what they want.

Models are made out of one or more 3D meshes and one or more textures that lay on the mesh. Many models also include animation rigs, also called bones or joints or skeletons, that enable movement.

When the models are nearing completion, the modeler will work with animators to ensure all the moving parts are modeled good enough for the animator to implement their designs. The animators work with programmers and designers to develop a list of animations that are required. Animators position objects relative to each other and use their art program (usually Maya) to generate animation curves to move things over time.

Yet another art area in 3D games are particles and effects. There is little difference between a severed limb's blood splatter and cute magical sparkles, apart from the art being used in the particle.

For 2D assets, each object is drawn with pixel art.

UI screens are generally 2D pixel art. The artists draw buttons and windows and widgets. Some games require thousands of little images, one image to represent each game object.

Games that are rendered in 2D need to have all the game assets drawn. Some objects only need one or two images that will be flipped and rotated as needed. Player characters may need thousands of images drawn as they walk, run, sit, and do other activities.

In both cases, the artists create the art, and the programmers do their magic to get it in game.

All of the art is reviewed by the art director for aesthetics and style.

Then QA starts finding bugs in the artwork. Models and animations and pixel art will all need adjustments as bugs are found.

It looks like you are currently focused on physical art. That is useful because you can understand the concepts of art. Unfortunately it doesn't get the artwork into the computer.

There is only one company to use when it comes to digital art tablets: Wacom.

You need to get comfortable with Wacom tablets. They aren't very expensive, you can get a Wacom Bamboo (a small entry level pen and tablet) new for under $50 if you shop around, or used on ebay for around $25. Professionals will end up with a larger Wacom Intuos that can cost several hundred dollars depending on how large the pad is.

For art software you absolutely must get comfortable with Photoshop, no matter what other tools you use.

If you intend to do any 3D work you also must get comfortable with Maya.

Learning to draw digitally is very different from acrylics.

You still need an eye for what looks good, and you need dexterity. Art theory still applies.

Apart from that, the tools and technologies are radically different. Instead of applying pigment to a surface you click a button and then apply varying amounts of pressure to a stylus on a tablet that is a meter away from the image.

Why on earth would you want to be a programmer when you described yourself as having no interest in it? Most game artists can look at a screen and say "Yup, it looks like computer code."

Programmers create a toolchain that gets the art into the game. This is one intersection point. The programmers work with artists to figure out where the assets go, and provide tools that let the artists figure out things like game-friendly texture names, game-friendly slotting position names, geometry states, and other data that doesn't fit directly inside the images. A UI tool might let the artist define what a button is. It might let the artist pick file names for the images of each button state. A 2D animation tool might let the artist specify the size and stride of images on a sprite sheet.

Another area of intersection is determining how animations chain together. This is generally driven by the design of the game and of the objects. Animators need to specify where the loops are. They also need to tag certain animation frames with events so the programmers know when to run certain code. For example if you have an animation of a character turning on a radio there will need to be an animation event on the frame where the button is pressed, so the programmer knows to turn on the music at that point.

There are a few other intersection points. They go to some of the same meetings discussing the designs and reviewing the results. They share the lunchroom and bathrooms and other common areas.

I'd say that on most of the my projects over the years, the artists and programmers actually sit down and work on the same things for perhaps an average of twenty minutes per day. They generally work on very different tasks.

Wow!!!! So many amazing answers (I can't even believe it!)

Thank you so much everyone. I'm so grateful for anyone who took the time to give such detailed responses. This is just amazing; I already feel like I'm starting to get a picture of where I should begin, and what my path should be

Thanks again!

Btw. conceptart.org is another huge community with many artists / illustrators that work in the game industry.

You can probably get some input there as well.

Given enough eyeballs, all mysteries are shallow.

MeAndVR

Btw. conceptart.org is another huge community with many artists / illustrators that work in the game industry.
You can probably get some input there as well.

I'll make sure to check it out

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement