Where to start to develop a game?

Started by
4 comments, last by Dragonsoulj 10 years, 7 months ago

Hi,

i'm planning on making a game (in the style of binding of isaac). I have some experience in c++ and i'm planning on making it in eclipse. I just wondered where do i start? Also if you could recommend a better software or programming language for this type of game that would be helpful.

thanks

Advertisement

Hi,

i'm planning on making a game (in the style of binding of isaac). I have some experience in c++ and i'm planning on making it in eclipse. I just wondered where do i start? Also if you could recommend a better software or programming language for this type of game that would be helpful.

thanks

If you have some experience using C++ you might as well use it, you could look into SDL or SFML for graphics.

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Hi patch warrior I agree with Simon. SDL is used by alot of things and you should be able to find plenty of information on it. I have not used SFML very much, but so far it seems very simple and very intuitive. I would have a brief glance at the documentation for both and see which is more suitable. Personally I would go with SFML. SDL often requires alot of additional extension libraries to do what you want, so far I have not needed any for SFML

You can either focus on learning in the area of C++ or on the game design. If you want to stick with C++ follow the above advice.

If you want to focus on game design more, Which is what I do, look at BlitzBasic.com They have several inexpesive (Even Free) language options with alot of graphical commands built right in. Structure is simular to C++, but not as strict. For simple 2d/3d games their languages are all in one ( Except a 3D Modeler.

To Start designing a game, you need paper and pencil ( and eraser and more paper ). Start with and idea and make a design document. Include the general idea for your game, figure out how things should get started, develop your main loop, branch off for special events, back to your main loop. If you organize your Design Document in this manner, you will start to see how to code your game. What kind of graphics and animation artwork you will need.

Coding and testing will be much easier with a design document in hand.

Your Brain contains the Best Program Ever Written : Manage Your Data Wisely !!

Well, "better" tends to be subjective when it comes to tools and languages, but you could give Blender and Python a try.

I have some tutorials on my youtube channel, which could probably help you: Like this python tutorial.

+---------------------------------------------------------------------+

| Game Dev video tutorials -> http://www.youtube.com/goranmilovano | +---------------------------------------------------------------------+

I add +1 for C++ and SFML. I would like to point out SFML does more than just graphics. It can handle networking, input, and audio.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement