Game server design?

Started by
2 comments, last by ApochPiQ 10 years, 7 months ago

Where can I find information on creating a game server. I understand that it is a broad topic, but I am looking for some simple ideas on how to structure it. I program in C/C++. Some links to websites, or books would help.

Advertisement

What's the game like? A game server for a MMORPG and a game server for a board game would be quite different. Also, are you asking about the design of the server-side software, or the machine(s)?

Actually I'm thinking of 2 different design types. 1 is a multiplayer fps and the other would be an mmo. I don't have a game in the works, but I looked at a game like eve online and I'm very interested in how a game server can handle many clients while mediating huge space battles. I don't have a clear perspective on what I'm looking for, since I just started looking into this for the first time. The multiplayer fps is most likely what I would actually attempt to do myself. That might be 2 dozen players at most running around on a level. Regardless of what I go with, this is something I want to build from scratch, so I'm mostly looking into figuring out the best technologies to go with, such as language and libraries.

Moving to the Networking and Multiplayer forum. The FAQ here should have plenty of material to get you started.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement