Game programming core concepts every beginner or intermediate level person should know

Started by
11 comments, last by Nicholas Kong 10 years, 7 months ago

Vectors and matrices. Just as an example, your code is much more elegant when you use unit vectors over angles and matrices to transform between coordinate spaces. But understanding basic operations on vectors such as dot products, cross products and projection are very useful tools when solving problems. Especially in 3D.

Thanks for the heads-up. I am studying linear algebra now so I will be sure to know more about it.

Advertisement

I am studying linear algebra now so I will be sure to know more about it

if you plan to do 3d graphics, this will be the most important subject you take in your entire life - bar none. you simply can not know too much about linear algebra and vector, matrix, and quat stuff when you do 3d graphics.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

I am studying linear algebra now so I will be sure to know more about it

if you plan to do 3d graphics, this will be the most important subject you take in your entire life - bar none. you simply can not know too much about linear algebra and vector, matrix, and quat stuff when you do 3d graphics.

what do you mean by bar none? I am having trouble with vector spaces. I borrowed 2 different books on linear algebra and it is still abstract. Nothing sounds clear cut like system of linear equations.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement