Is there a list of game engines pros and cons?

Started by
7 comments, last by Satharis 10 years, 6 months ago

Trying to decide on what to use to make games for my club again. We have a wider variety of members than I thought we would. Some people want to use C++, some want to use ruby with rpg maker, others want to use html 5, some want to use game maker or other things.

So I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons but that would mean individually looking up what people have to say about all these various choices. So I thought I'd come here to help me decide what we should use to get started.

Our choices are

C++ with SFML

Java

HTML 5

GameMaker

RPG Maker

Unity

What I'm really wondering is how easy is GameMaker and RPG Maker to use? Also RPG Maker has many different versions. What are the differences in versions and what are the pros and cons of each? Also, how difficult is making a 2D game in Unity?

Thanks for any help, it's really appreciated.

Advertisement
Game Maker and Unity are very good options. They are also a bit pricey for the full version.

If you have any plans of making 3d games in the future, I think you should adapt Unity.

I haven't used GameMaker or RPG Maker, but as far as I know it's minimal coding when doing games on those developing platforms. Unity is nice, but making a 2D game in it is a bit of a hassle since it doesn't have any native support for 2D (it will have with the next release though!). Unity also requires a lot of coding and scripting. C++ with SFML is easy to use and learn - if you know C++ already. Will be a lot more coding than using unity. Unity is also in either C# or java.

There is actually only one version of RPGMaker that you can get now and that is RPGMaker VXAce which uses Ruby 1.9.2 for it's scripting language. It is fairly easy to use and learn and there are a lot of pre-made scripts that enhance it already. I have GameMaker also but haven't dug into it yet so don't know the learning curve.

As you say you like Ruby, you can also use it together with rbSFML bindings to SFML. I tried it recently and had to compile both myself from the git versions, for having it compatible with the DevKit for Ruby 1.9.3, but its not that difficult to get it working when you know where to look. I just have to start making something more useful now than a simple test program.

http://rubyinstaller.org/

http://sfml-dev.org/tutorials/2.1/compile-with-cmake.php

https://github.com/Groogy/rbSFML

I am not a Ruby user, other than playing around with Rails when it was the "it" thing, I never much touched it.

That said, I have heard again and again and again, even from Ruby proponents, that Ruby is not a good fit for creating games or being embedded in a game. The fact that nobody seems to have ever done anything with it in the gaming space, seems to add credence to that statement.

Well, I mentioned it because both SFML and Ruby are in their list already, the part inside SFML is not so slow because its in C++ (but its easier because they dont have to directly use it), and they list other slow things like HTML already. They probably want to make something small where it doesnt matter and not a AAA game, when they list RPG maker as a choice where they would also use Ruby.

Though if they want to invest more time into learning C++ to make it run faster thats also possible.

Hi,

There are huge numbers of people using a wide variety of strategies within a long list of game engines. As you will see by this nice but incomplete list of them, game engines are using all the major languages and platforms. Which one to choose depends on your long term goals and personal preferences. Probably all of them on this list have been used to develop games which made a developer at least some money:

List of Game Engines

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

I should point out that even if you go with something like Game Maker or RPG Maker that neither of them completely remove the concept of coding. They both provide what is basically a game engine tooled to one genre or set of game genres that you can customize with scripting.

In fact the scripting is there really regardless of what you do they just wrap it up in GUI elements. Making game maker objects move and interact intelligently is rather time consuming and uses a lot of the same logic that just writing a script would, RPG maker is the same way except for a lot of things you HAVE to edit the scripts like if you want windows to behave differently or combat to work significantly different, it offers a lot of flexibility but you can end up basically rewriting the gameplay layer. There's negatives too like performance can become a problem in both depending on the scale of game and there are bugs and quirks to work around, unfortunately you won't have much direct support for getting those bugs fixed either.

tl;dr: The workload is going to be big either way and it is actually a much easier prospect if you at least learn a bit of scripting for them. Each thing just has different tradeoffs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement