Where to start?

Started by
3 comments, last by Dumont 10 years, 6 months ago

Basically I would like to get into Game Development but not sure how to start making a game.

I want to make a Sandbox game to gain some experience. I've done minimal java coding, I can Texture, I can Model. I learn't the java i know from making minecraft mods and the HTML I know and 2D game development using Game Maker at school.

Current Ideas

Thanks, Dan

Advertisement

Forgot to add its going to be a small game and that i'm not sure on what language to use or software.

Python is good for programming or is my favorite language anyway.

1. Take a piece of paper and write down what type of game you want to make, what features you want and how it should play.

2. Open your favorite Java(because thats the language you know best) IDE and start by coding a game loop and proceed to get something on screen.

3. Then add one of the features from your paper, debug, look how it runs and how it shows up on screen, fix it.

4. Commit what you have done into source control or at least copy it to a backup

5. Repeat from step 3. until the game is done.

1. Take a piece of paper and write down what type of game you want to make, what features you want and how it should play.

2. Open your favorite Java(because thats the language you know best) IDE and start by coding a game loop and proceed to get something on screen.

3. Then add one of the features from your paper, debug, look how it runs and how it shows up on screen, fix it.

4. Commit what you have done into source control or at least copy it to a backup

5. Repeat from step 3. until the game is done.

Huge Thanks!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement