Finding a path of length n in a graph

Started by
13 comments, last by Paradigm Shifter 10 years, 5 months ago

path_zpsb4b2abdd.png

K4_zpse47064df.png

I am doing part a of Ex 19. The answer has 2 but I can list at least 11 paths.

Here are the paths:

1) {a,b,d}

2) {a,d,c}

3) {a,c,d}

4) {b,a,c}

5) {b,d,c}

6) {b,c,d}

7) {c,a,b}

8) {c,d,b}

9) {d,b,a}

10) {d,c,a}

11) {d,b,c}

The complete graph k4 graph does not have labeled vertices a,b,c,d.

So I am not sure if I can label a,b,c,d anywhere I want.

Advertisement

Assuming the diagonals count as 1, if you pick any 2 vertices, there will be only 2 paths of length 2 between them. This is what i assume you were supposed to do.

o3o

Sure you can label them as you want.

I think you are misunderstanding the problem, though. I would interpret it as, “Pick two fixed vertices. Tell me how many paths of length 2 there are between them.” The beauty here is that you should get the same answer no matter which two vertices you pick – this is thanks to your graph being a complete one; the question would be ill-formed if it were for a different kind of graph.

Assuming the diagonals count as 1, if you pick any 2 vertices, there will be only 2 paths of length 2 between them. This is what i assume you were supposed to do.

I think I get what you saying. So the 11 paths I listed are not correct.

Sure you can label them as you want.

I think you are misunderstanding the problem, though. I would interpret it as, “Pick two fixed vertices. Tell me how many paths of length 2 there are between them.” The beauty here is that you should get the same answer no matter which two vertices you pick – this is thanks to your graph being a complete one; the question would be ill-formed if it were for a different kind of graph.

Well there are 2 edges between any two vertices you pick so 2 paths of length. Now that I am doing part b. I do not get the same answer as the textbook so I think I am struggling with what the question is actually saying

I count

a) 2

b) 7

c) 20

d) 61

That's assuming that it's OK to repeat nodes and edges in the paths: I am not sure what precise definition you are using.

If you want more terms,

A(0) = 0, A(1) = 1, A(n) = 3*A(n-2) + 2*A(n-1) if n>1

I count

a) 2

b) 7

c) 20

d) 61

That's assuming that it's OK to repeat nodes and edges in the paths: I am not sure what precise definition you are using.

If you want more terms,

You did get them all correct. You mention you counting the edges, so you do not need to write them down on a piece of paper?

Can you explain how you get 7 for part b?

I think if I understand how 7 was acheived I should be able to get part c and d intuitively. part a seems to do a poor job of figuring out how the thought process should be approached.

To find a path with length n you need to find a path with length n-1 to any of the other nodes. You have 2 options:
1. Find a path to a node other than the start node. So 2 possible nodes, and you need a path of length n-1 to get to them. This is the 2*A(n-1) term.

2. Find a n-1 path to the start node. To do that, you need a n-2 path to any of the other 3 nodes. That's the 3*A(n-2) term.

Yup, satanir's explanation is correct.

To find a path with length n you need to find a path with length n-1 to any of the other nodes. You have 2 options:
1. Find a path to a node other than the start node. So 2 possible nodes, and you need a path of length n-1 to get to them. This is the 2*A(n-1) term.

2. Find a n-1 path to the start node. To do that, you need a n-2 path to any of the other 3 nodes. That's the 3*A(n-2) term.

Oh I get it now. I was doing it wrong the whole time. Thanks for the explaination.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement