Profile Rating System - Reasonings

Started by
4 comments, last by jbadams 10 years, 6 months ago

Hi guys. wink.png

So as you know, on your profiles you have these stars, and the score is made by the community. Now I was recently downvoted, and that was really my last expectation, and I don't remember to be particular rude or anything. And there might be a valid reason for this downvote, but I'd like to know why, so I could improve and avoid this in future discussions, but, no traces are left, so how would I be able to know what went wrong. (Sometimes it may be obvious, but sometimes it's really not)

So my question is, currently and for the future:

• Is it possible to see who voted you down?
  • Could it be possible for the user to leave a note containing his reasoning?

PS. I hope this hasn't been mentioned before.

Well, that's it! Thank you.

-MIGI0027

FastCall22: "I want to make the distinction that my laptop is a whore-box that connects to different network"

Blog about... stuff (GDNet, WordPress): www.gamedev.net/blog/1882-the-cuboid-zone/, cuboidzone.wordpress.com/

Advertisement

The note might be interesting, but if its optional practically no one will use it, and if its obligatory then the additional hassle might make the ratings systems less used overall, which would defeat the purpose. If the mods are reading, I might suggest that notes could be successful if leaving them was incentivised -- perhaps by giving an additional +1 to the rater. That way, a rater could avoid the -1 that comes along with downvoting someone if they provide a reason for the downvote. I'm not entirely convinced that the +1 bump for a reason is useful for upvotes though. I think that might actually be benfitial both by helping educate the offending poster and encourage reasonable down-votes by making the penalty a non-issue.

As far as revealing identity, it used to be revealed but there was sometimes an issue with revenge voting, so they took it out and I don't think its return is up for discussion.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

I never understood why we had the stars plus a numerical rating system.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

me neither. I think they are just part of the default system and not even tied into the rating system in any way. Other things (like forum threads) had stars too but we removed them. I honestly hadn't really noticed nor thought about the stars in profiles until now.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

me neither. I think they are just part of the default system and not even tied into the rating system in any way. Other things (like forum threads) had stars too but we removed them. I honestly hadn't really noticed nor thought about the stars in profiles until now.

People still use them though. They're just not very discoverable.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Interesting... those should probably be turned off with the rest of the star ratings around the site actually!

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement