Extreme Beginner Help!

Started by
13 comments, last by samgj 10 years, 4 months ago

I do NOT recomend java and c# as these are very object oriented programming languages and even the simpliest applications need a little bit knowledge of this term: OOP.

Pretty much, the only OOP related difference between "hello world" in c++ vs java or c# is the word "class" is required.

You don't have to understand the concepts right away in order to use them.

Actually, more and more beginning programming classes are using Java.

Even with C++ you will eventually need to understand OOP, so you might as well learn it early.

Not to say c++ isn't an option...

Stay gold, Pony Boy.
Advertisement

I do NOT recomend java and c# as these are very object oriented programming languages and even the simpliest applications need a little bit knowledge of this term: OOP.

Pretty much, the only OOP related difference between "hello world" in c++ vs java or c# is the word "class" is required.

class and public words.. but i dont want do go deeper with this. I totally understand your opinion and agree with you. I upvoted you. What i was trying to say to Cody is that he can start with C++ if he wants to because i was a total begginer 1 year ago and now learning c++ provided me with the necessary knowledge to make few small games and understand c# and java too.

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul. Wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

I would suggest going the c# or java way. Personally i started with c++, but after switching to c#, i am regretting not taking that road from the start.

c++ is good, but java and c# is so much easier, and when you are a beginner, you don't need the power of c++.

ofcourse that's just my opinion.

www.mojostudios.dk

New Relealse - Rainbow Run (IOS, Android)

Get it on Play store

Get it on App store

I would suggest going the c# or java way. Personally i started with c++, but after switching to c#, i am regretting not taking that road from the start.

c++ is good, but java and c# is so much easier, and when you are a beginner, you don't need the power of c++.

ofcourse that's just my opinion.

It's a good opinion, even for advanced programmers.

No one wants to use a more complicated language without a good enough reason. Unless you are creating a game engine or you are working in game development industry, you really should be looking at the easier alternatives.

There is ALOT more to game development than just the programming.

Consider how long it takes to create a full game. Translate that into hours by comparing the amount of work needed for each language.

You could do the same thing with any programs, such as Maya vs 3dsmax (not that I have any clue which of those is easier)

My brother is creating some fun games with Game Maker. And he spends days on it, not years. I work in years.

My games may be more complicated, with scene graphs and all that jazz, but we all do this because games are fun. And so I believe there's that distinction between programmers: I choose to use all my time creating something that may or may not ever be completed, while my brother makes fun games that are short and sweet.

I think modding is a good place to start for game design. It allows you to make a game (although with a lot of limitations) without all the work and gives you a look at how the game was made. I think one of the best games for beginners to mod is Warcraft 3. It is where I got started. It has an easy to use map editor, an object editor, and uses both drag and drop scripting and classic scripting with it's custom language Jazz. Skilled users have created RPG's, FPS's, and even a roller coaster simulator. I've heard Starcraft 2 is has more features but I've never played it. Other good games to mod are Half-Life 2 and Civilization 4. Civ 4 can be easily modded with XML or you can get even more power using Python.

For programming I started with BASIC. Don't do that. It is an extremely messy and outdated language. Modern dialects might be better but, I have not tried them. After a few weeks with BASIC, I switched to Python. I would recommend Python because it is easy to learn, write, and read. Another good thing is that many programs use it for scripting, such as Blender (which has a game engine) and also, many libraries have bindings in it. What doesn't have a Python binding will have it in C/C++ which could be included into a python program with ctypes. A good thing with C/C++ is that so many programs are written with them and most libraries have bindings in it. Another thing is that many languages are inspired by it.

With programming you should get inspiration. You could read open source programs' code (start small). A lot of important and advanced software is open source. The DOOM engine, SCUMM, and even the more recent id tech 4, are now open source. You can even find the source for Valve Software products at their GitHub page. Just don't copy anything they have because it is not FOSS.

SAMULIKO: My blog

[twitter]samurliko[/twitter]

BitBucket

GitHub

Itch.io

YouTube

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement