What do you thinks about Torque3D ?

Started by
8 comments, last by Dwarf King 10 years, 4 months ago

i'm thinking to learn Torque3d because it licensed under MIT and i'd like to know what do you think ? or maybe another suggestion about another open source engine ? thank you :)

Advertisement

Knowledge is certainly not a bad thing so I would never recommend against learning something. But the question might be phrased, "Is it worth my time, or should I spend that time learning another tool?" That depends on what you intend to do with the tool, and if it's the right tool for that task.

I can say this... I used Torque3D in a game class I took and I absolutely hated it. I guess as a programmer I like to get my hands dirty with code Torque is a lot of GUI / Torque script unless you want to get dirty and change something in the source of the engine. I would suggest Unity3D (not sure if open source) over Torque if I was to go that route. Just my 2-cents.

i think of it as an old cryengine game engine. It has potential but it depends on what you need it for. Could you specify

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

TL;DR - Maratis3D

Torque3D was once a great tool, superior to Unity by then, but someone "really smart" decided to drop OpenGL in favor of Direct3D, what a good decision it was...

This means the engine couldn't target linux and macs and, on top of that, possible ports to consoles like playstation or mobile platforms were undermined.

In other words, they killed themselves.

To try and survive from its previous user base, it has gone Open-Source under the X11 License (MIT). I guess this was an attempt to keep their asset store alive for a little longer.

Who knows if the community wouldn't be willing to undo their stupidity and rebuild OpenGL?

Well, it has been years now, and I have seen nothing but rudimentary OpenGL ports.

So, if you are thinking about using Torque3D, consider the following:

Problems:

1. Your game will be windows exclusive or web-based, unless you help develop and use a torque3d port.
  2. all ports are still in-the-works, and the linux branch on GitHub is tens of thousands of diffs behind.
  3. Small community when compared with Unity ($$$) and other alternatives.
  4. It is slowly decaying, I see less and less content about it everywhere.

Advantages:

1. Opensource, differently from Unity (that has a really high cost for an individual).
  2. Great license; the X11 license is simply great for users.
  3. Good and cheap game editor (Its called Torsion iirc)

I really hope Torque3D can fix its mistakes and use OpenGL for all platforms that needs it! But when I say use OpenGL I don't mean two anonymous guys making an OpenGL port, I mean an official take on OpenGL, make it part of the main engine again. This would mean a great engine getting back in the race.

If this doesn't happen, I think the only way is down for Torque3D, unfortunately.

As an alternative, it is really easy to point you to a great 3D game engine, that I personally consider to be almost as good as Unity:

Maratis3D, here: http://www.maratis3d.org/

it's true that Torque3D has many rudimentary OpenGL ports is the most things that bugging me.

about Maratis3D, i think it's not looks like a promising engine and still lack of community support(from what i saw in it's registered forum user).

about Maratis3D, i think it's not looks like a promising engine

Yes, it does lack a community, unfortunately.

But the main Dev is pretty active and friendly, if anyone can answer a question about Maratis, it would be him (or her, dk).

It is like Allegro somehow, small forum with only a dozen of active users, but that happen to know so much about the library and coding in general that they can pretty much answer to anything...

Only now that it is getting some attention, I bet it will flourish on the coming years. So I have to disagree with you here, it is a quite promising engine, imho.

You could also be interested in Polycode.

Hi,

Torque 3D, like any game engine, is mostly what you make of it. For a learning system, absolutely nothing wrong with investing a year or two with it. Some commercially sold games have been made with it and continue to be made, which supports what I am saying.

Where it really shines is all of the many art assets available from the artist community and the broad knowledge base about how to use Torque 3D. It's really not a bad game engine and if you really enjoy it then it might stick with you.

That being said, there are many other good game engines, so don't get tunnel vision.

As for the critics here of Torque 3D - fair enough what you wrote, but game developers must be careful not to jump on the latest versions of game engines for obvious reasons that come with newer versions. Older versions have the advantages of maturity, tending to be less buggy and offer a history of broad community experience knowledge base. The coding will run in computers for years to come, so don't worry about compatibility. For example, there are tons of tutorials and YouTube videos about older versions of Torque 3D. Diving into the existing software documentation should be standard operating procedure for game developers, so there really is no excuse and no real barrier that does not exist also elsewhere.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

You could also be interested in Polycode.

I checked it an it seems to be a good engine. thanks for mentioning :)

Torque 3D, like any game engine, is mostly what you make of it. For a learning system, absolutely nothing wrong with investing a year or two with it. Some commercially sold games have been made with it and continue to be made, which supports what I am saying.

plus one for that one. I use Torque 3D every day and I find that it does the job just fine.

Some very talented people work on upgrading the engine to DX11 and Linux and the progress is looking very promising for Linux at the moment. Dig into the forums and you shall see a very active and alive open source community. In fact I find the community to be a real gem of the indie world.

By using Torque 3D MIT one will learn a lot about how games are made. You cannot lose anything else than your time by using this engine.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement