Have you made a game engine

Started by
78 comments, last by Nathan2222_old 10 years, 3 months ago

Since i'm the one that'll make it, i'm still deciding the name.

I doubt axel1994 was asking for the name of the feature, but was instead was interested in a brief high-level description of what the feature is -- the same I tried asking for earlier in the thread.

This doesn't need to spoil the feature if you're concerned about someone "stealing" it -- it could be just a high-level statement like "it's a new rendering system based on radioactivity", "it's an AI system for making groups of people accurately simulate people getting on a bus and how they relate to the other passengers", "a new way of dynamically altering terrain based on erosion".
It could also be more technical -- "something to allow the developer to automatically texture, set up UV coordinates, etc. any given 3D model (regardless of complexity) within 1 minute".

What slightly confuses me is how you seem to certain that none of the current engines support it, given your current knowledge of programming.
While a feature might not be a bullet point on an engine's feature list, it might be possible to implement using the engine regardless.
Well, you are right about the stealing part.
This is what it is: "something to allow the developer to automatically texture, set up UV coordinates, etc. any given 3D model (regardless of complexity) within 1 minute" and automatically model it etc.
Do you think any engine that had that will not want game devs to know?

The design of the engine, who it can be used by, what the engine can create with/without coding, what it can teach and its price and some other stuff, is what will make it different.

You mean like Unity that allows you to swap out sub-meshes with different textures? Also allow's you to delete submeshes and you can actually cheaply buy a small add on to create other meshes. All rigging can be done in mecanim if it has bones..!

Advertisement

I doubt axel1994 was asking for the name of the feature, but was instead was interested in a brief high-level description of what the feature is -- the same I tried asking for earlier in the thread.

This doesn't need to spoil the feature if you're concerned about someone "stealing" it -- it could be just a high-level statement like "it's a new rendering system based on radioactivity", "it's an AI system for making groups of people accurately simulate people getting on a bus and how they relate to the other passengers", "a new way of dynamically altering terrain based on erosion".
It could also be more technical -- "something to allow the developer to automatically texture, set up UV coordinates, etc. any given 3D model (regardless of complexity) within 1 minute".

What slightly confuses me is how you seem to certain that none of the current engines support it, given your current knowledge of programming.
While a feature might not be a bullet point on an engine's feature list, it might be possible to implement using the engine regardless.
This is what it is: "something to allow the developer to automatically texture, set up UV coordinates, etc. any given 3D model (regardless of complexity) within 1 minute" and automatically model it etc.

The design of the engine, who it can be used by, what the engine can create with/without coding, what it can teach and its price and some other stuff, is what will make it different.

You mean like Unity that allows you to swap out sub-meshes with different textures? Also allow's you to delete submeshes and you can actually cheaply buy a small add on to create other meshes. All rigging can be done in mecanim if it has bones..!
I mean create everything asset by clicking next (not pressing import this/that, no need to know how to model etc.) from reference photo.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

I mean create everything asset related by clicking next (not pressing import this/that, no need to know how to model etc.) from reference photo.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

So you not only want to build a games engine, but add a fully featured 3d modelling suite inside it!..

Jeez I couldn't do that, hope you have a large team behind you. Best of luck!.

So you not only want to build a games engine, but add a fully featured 3d modelling suite inside it!..

Definitely not a fully featured modelling suite.

Jeez I couldn't do that, hope you have a large team behind you. Best of luck!.

That's kinda the problem. Treating like the other parts.
It may/may not be as hard as the engine's UI functions.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

To me it sounds like you're describing something like this:

Plus (going by earlier posts) an editor with scripting languages, render code, shaders, etc, etc, etc.?

Hello to all my stalkers.

To me it sounds like you're describing something like this:
">

Plus (going by earlier posts) an editor with scripting languages, render code, shaders, etc, etc, etc.?Ouch. I wanted to be the first to make that. It implements my idea very well :(. I guess the other engine parts plus this will make the engine special :(

With that, you could create all your game models in 3 days or less. (i thought of that and now i need to think of something else special) :(.

*edit* It doesn't have a rigger so that's a plus for me (still thinking).

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

So i get a -1 for asking a question, saying "Thanks" and replying to posts. How cool is that.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

While I can understand the general state of your reputation, your recent drop is solely the result of one user with suspicious behavior. I have reported that user to the mods for closer investigation.

While I can understand the general state of your reputation, your recent drop is solely the result of one user with suspicious behavior. I have reported that user to the mods for closer investigation.

-20+ in this thread thanks to the suspicious user.
Thanks for the report.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement