Unprecise ambient occlusion values

Started by
1 comment, last by unbird 10 years, 3 months ago

Hello everyone

In my cube engine im using ambient occlusion to make things look better. In general it doesnt look that bad but there are some issues im not happy with. First ill show you 2 pictures. In Fig1 you can see a shader that for each vertex renders blue if the vertex is not occluded at all or red if there is at least a bit of occlusion (independent of how much). In fig. 2 you can see a regular render:

5Zmd9.jpg

5Zm1T.png

As you can see in Fig1 in general it looks good, but for example in the highlighted areas you can see that there are "lines" that look wrong. These lines are even worse if you look at figure 2.

I never really implemented this before so im a bit clueless where those errors come from? Is there anything i can do to prevent this?

Greetings

Plerion

Advertisement

You have no replies for a reason.

It would be a good idea to at least explain how you calculate the occlusion values at each vertex. Is it even per-vertex? It looks that way but we really have no other information besides, “it looks wrong.”

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

This seems to be the shortcoming of vertex lighting combined with low resolution meshes. There was a thread in the graphics subforum about this, which I currently can't find anymore. But 0fps has a blog post which describes this exact problem - and a solution: Ambient occlusion for Minecraft like worlds.

Cheers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement