New Space Game - BackSpace - Progress Updates

Started by
10 comments, last by gooncorp 9 years, 10 months ago

Using the free version of Unity. Hope you enjoy.

Please let me know what you think, but please, be gentle.

Advertisement

Tiny blue text on black can be a usalibity problem for most people because blue on dark gray is practically invisible. Try playing the game with someone else's glasses and with different color filters to evaluate how visually accessible it is. Record video from when others are playing the game so that you can measure the average time to complete a task.

I've noticed a few things which feel weird to me.

First, the menu. The 3D text has a nice feel to it, but I don't think I like that cursor. I'm really sorry I can't tell why :(

Next, the character selection screen. I'd rather feature them in an idle, standing pose. It does convey some information about what each character does, but they can end up in quirky positions :) ( Or you could iterate over the poses. They don't necessarily have to be the same poses used in the game, just use whatever that communicates their roles well and looks good )

The light in front of the selected character is a good idea, but the engineer looks overly lit and feels like the light washes out some detail.

I think this is probably on your todo list already, but the graphics could use some polish :) Just two things hit my eye: If you could do SSAO or paint on the texture of the trees' roots, it would be great. Looking at it I feel like the tree's trunk is separated from the ground, and it feels unreal. SSAO would create a darkening gradient. But working on the texture is cheaper.

All in all, the game looks really interesting, good luck with it :D Subbed on youtube :)

I've noticed a few things which feel weird to me.

First, the menu. The 3D text has a nice feel to it, but I don't think I like that cursor. I'm really sorry I can't tell why sad.png

Next, the character selection screen. I'd rather feature them in an idle, standing pose. It does convey some information about what each character does, but they can end up in quirky positions smile.png ( Or you could iterate over the poses. They don't necessarily have to be the same poses used in the game, just use whatever that communicates their roles well and looks good )

The light in front of the selected character is a good idea, but the engineer looks overly lit and feels like the light washes out some detail.

I think this is probably on your todo list already, but the graphics could use some polish smile.png Just two things hit my eye: If you could do SSAO or paint on the texture of the trees' roots, it would be great. Looking at it I feel like the tree's trunk is separated from the ground, and it feels unreal. SSAO would create a darkening gradient. But working on the texture is cheaper.

All in all, the game looks really interesting, good luck with it biggrin.png Subbed on youtube smile.png

Tiny blue text on black can be a usalibity problem for most people because blue on dark gray is practically invisible. Try playing the game with someone else's glasses and with different color filters to evaluate how visually accessible it is. Record video from when others are playing the game so that you can measure the average time to complete a task.

damn guys thanks a lot for the feedback, really appreciate it. im gonna pass this on to my partner but i think your spot on.

another video update

we now have 3 members on our team, we got a sound guy! smile.png

heres the video:

thanks again for checking it out :)

another update.

also we are releasing a free demo. here is the video with some info, thanks folks :)

Looks promising good, nice!

You should look into gamedev.net's journals :) This looks like exactly the kind of stuff it's made for.

http://www.gamedev.net/blogs

Hello to all my stalkers.

I don't know why, but I don't like the character desgin... Everything is fine but the characters seems a bit blank to me, like you didn't really pay attention to the small details, ah and add some futuristic things on the menu, things that will give you the feeling that this is a space game :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement