Game Engine for card game

Started by
8 comments, last by DejaimeNeto 10 years, 3 months ago

I am looking for a Game Engine that is suited to create a card game. I prefer to use 2d and any engine that uses any language. I have basic knowledge in C++ and a little bit in Python. Still I am willing to learn any language that is best suitable to create a card game biggrin.png

Advertisement

The problem with a game card is the AI, something that you cannot achieve without coding I suppose. A tool like GameMaker would be perfect for the graphical part, but not for the AI.

I suggest to take a good API like SFML2 or SDL2 and code your game, at least you'll end learn something AND get your game done.

For a card game, I'd recommend Construct 2 or a different engine that can create browser-based games. Or you could do the HTML and other coding yourself if you really wanted.

I'm not sure if Construct 2 is great for coding enemy AI or not, but I'd strongly recommend not having an enemy AI for a card game unless you know how hard programming a good AI is. Interesting card interactions are insanely complicated to handle in AI code since you basically won't know how effective each combination is. Focus on a game that is fun for humans to play against humans at first, then use profits to add AI if your game succeeds.

Even if you do a two-player only game you have to have the program knows the rules of the game. Again, you have to code some kind of basic AI. You can do it by learning some proprietary scripting dialect like GameMaker's gml or with a standard, good old c++ ;)

Anyway, take my suggest like the one of a programmer, more interested in the technology than the game itself.

Java's 2D API should require no maintenance for future operating systems if you don't mind that Java won't let you use global functions.

I recommend to use C++ for developing this game or make a game engine and use your engine to develop your game

when you can't see well like me, you can't test your applications and you can't read something

Github

Thanks for the helpful answers, I'll look into it.. SFML2 and SDL seems a little bit complicated at first glance but I'll try and also i'll look at Construct to biggrin.png

EDIT: I saw what was Construct 2 but I really like to code it myself :)) Anyway i'll try to decide later which to use :))

Use Unity3D , get accustomed to game dev (It supports 2D now) and then move to Cocos2d

use SFML and SDL to make a game engine and write your game with it!

when you can't see well like me, you can't test your applications and you can't read something

Github

I'd use a higher level context to develop a card game, be it a blackjack PC implementation or, say, some of these trading card video games.

Something like Löve2D, Haxe or PyGame would be more than enough. Game building tools would also suffice, ones such as Game Editor.

By nature, this type of game doesn't have a lot of real-time simulations to do, so try not to worry about the performance, as it won't be that much of an issue.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement