Unity3D Multiple Devices Compatiability

Started by
3 comments, last by LakshmiNarayanan 10 years, 2 months ago

Hi,

I have created a game using Unity3d for Ipad3, but I am not able to make it run on IPAD2, but it runs on devices in android like Galaxy tab7/ tab 10 etc.

I would like to know about the following:

1. How to increase/decrease the resolution of a group of Images used in the tab based on the device we use.(Ipad2/ipad3)

2. What are the things we should check when deploying a multi platform game.

3. presently we use the Unity Version control to manage the android game, but is it possible to use 1 Project overall for both android and iOs?

4. currently we feel that exporting anything from the iOs pack to the android project gives us issues on GUI placement hence I need to re work on GUI if I export it into Android, is there any solution for that? . (I am not using NGUI or any GUI tools as of now)

Thanks in advance guys !!

Advertisement

You will probably get some better answers on the Unity3D forums I guess, but here are some pointers:

Take a look at this page: http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/PlatformDependentCompilation.html

You can use these preprocessors to "split up" relevant code for different platforms (or even unity versions).

1. When it comes to supporting different resolutions, unity should already take care of most of it. If you want explicitely different resolutions for a specific platforms/devices, you should resize them according to device (which you can find using this: http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/ScriptReference/iPhoneGeneration.html)

2. If everything works fine on that specific platform would be my best guess ;)

3. Yes, see the platform dependent compilation link I gave you. Your project will likely be more cluttered this way, but it's possible. When it comes to deploying it's just a manner of selecting the appropriate platform anyway.

4. Technically speaking, if the resolution and aspect ratio are the same across the devices, there shouldn't be a problem. This is probably not the case I guess. Working with mutliple resolutions and aspect ratios can be a pain, but if you search for "unity3d resolution independent gui" or similar, you should get enough hits to get you on track.

good luck! :)

You will probably get some better answers on the Unity3D forums I guess, but here are some pointers:

Take a look at this page: http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/PlatformDependentCompilation.html

You can use these preprocessors to "split up" relevant code for different platforms (or even unity versions).

1. When it comes to supporting different resolutions, unity should already take care of most of it. If you want explicitely different resolutions for a specific platforms/devices, you should resize them according to device (which you can find using this: http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/ScriptReference/iPhoneGeneration.html)

2. If everything works fine on that specific platform would be my best guess ;)

3. Yes, see the platform dependent compilation link I gave you. Your project will likely be more cluttered this way, but it's possible. When it comes to deploying it's just a manner of selecting the appropriate platform anyway.

4. Technically speaking, if the resolution and aspect ratio are the same across the devices, there shouldn't be a problem. This is probably not the case I guess. Working with mutliple resolutions and aspect ratios can be a pain, but if you search for "unity3d resolution independent gui" or similar, you should get enough hits to get you on track.

good luck! smile.png

Hey, Yes I tried hard on Unity3D forums but looks like I wasn't lucky enough to get some tips there.

Now Ill go through the links you've provided and Ill get back and post here the update,

Do u know what all the aspects that affect the build size?

Like quality settings/ texture compressions and lightmaps?

My build was 75 Mb yesterday, i did some changes in Quality settings/ texture compressions and lightmaps ... and my build size came to 105 mb.

Please help me on this as well..also let me know what are all the aspects that can affect the build size... stripping levels didnt help me much.

Thanks a lot again smile.png

Well.. That can be almost anything really. I don't think quality settings will increase your build size by much, if any. Most of them are more or less quality related on a calculation level during runtime than anything else. (except for probably texture resolution), but I don't know how Unity3D handles everything underneath, so it might as well create some stuff that helps them achieve the chosen quality settings.

Furthermore it's more or less a principle of "the more you add, the bigger it gets", higher texture resolutions, high res models, scripts, sound, compression of anything, etc. Anything you create basically can increase the build size.

Also note that everything in the map "Resources" will be included in your build, regardless of being used or not.

Well.. That can be almost anything really. I don't think quality settings will increase your build size by much, if any. Most of them are more or less quality related on a calculation level during runtime than anything else. (except for probably texture resolution), but I don't know how Unity3D handles everything underneath, so it might as well create some stuff that helps them achieve the chosen quality settings.

Furthermore it's more or less a principle of "the more you add, the bigger it gets", higher texture resolutions, high res models, scripts, sound, compression of anything, etc. Anything you create basically can increase the build size.

Also note that everything in the map "Resources" will be included in your build, regardless of being used or not.

hey thanks a lot ,

Yes i was very careless.. I forgot that my previous build didnt include the "intro video" which was around 26 mb. Fortunately I was able to compress it to 12 Mb.. so my build size is around 90 now :)

:D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement