any recommended free 3d engine for java to make a tennis game with animations from motioncapture

Started by
3 comments, last by KrinosX 10 years, 2 months ago

Hi,

I would like to make a game in java to improve my java knowledge. I thought about making a tennis game that uses some animations from motioncaptures.

I want to know what free 3d game's engine you recommend me to achive this double target, improve my java and make a tennis game with some mocap.

I searched a lot about engines but i stil don´t know which one is the best for my target.

Advertisement

How good is your understanding of Java ?

If you are new(er) to programming, attempting to create a motion capture game will be very difficult.

There are no Java based game engines that support motion capture, that I know of, however here is some code that uses the JMF library for motion capture.

[LINK]

If you are new(ish) to programming Java, I would recommend reading this free Ebook - it is very helpful. [LINK]

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

libGDX is straightforward, cross-platform, and free.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

I am in the final phase of my preparation to make the scjp java certification, and i would like to use the knowledge achieved to practice making the game

Well, I have the SCJP and it does not prepare you to build a game...

If you want to do a game with motion capture you must research about game programming a lot, and about motion capture and animations a lot... its not about java.... What I mean:

If you want to make a game you will not be focused in JAVA but in game programming... java will be just a tool...

Well.. I like the JavaMonkey Engine ( jmonkeyengine.org ) but you may have to build a way to use motion capture ( maybe using the JFM Library or build your own lib ).

If I can suggest another path: Try to build simple games, I mean.. 2d games with java if you just want to practice your java knowledge... take a look in a old book called Killer Game Programming in Java its a interesting book about java + game programming... you will learn some java facets and some game programming theory...

Good lucky with your SCJP exam!!

[]´s

KrinosX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement