smoth fog of war

Started by
5 comments, last by Krypt0n 10 years ago

Hello everyone,

so for the past few days i have been implementing fog of war mechanics to my game. and i made it work, which is nice. But i did not feel satisfied with the way it looked.

So here is my question. how can I have a smother fog of war that looks like this?

81b3509eb5db0dcc2875a43f5e9f3989.jpg

this is how i implemented. I made a 512x512 map with a 32x32 tile size. i filled the map with a black tile and i set all the cells in my map to unexplored. when a unit moves through the map, I set that cell to explored and I stop rendering the black tile in that particle cell of the map.

Advertisement

You need to linear interpolate from non-fogged to fogged. Either use some dynamic drawing or pre-defined tiles. If you use predefined tiles you will have the following setup:

6X2

The X is the currently drawn tile and 0..7 are the neighbor tiles. If X is fogged, the gradient is defined by the fog-state of the neighbor tiles. As you can see, you just need to check the tiles and combine them in a byte, something like this:

if(isFogged(x,y) {
  int fog_tile_overlay_index =
    isFogged(x,y+1) << 0 |
    isFogged(x+1,y+1) << 1 |
    isFogged(x+1,y+0) << 2 |
    isFogged(x-1,y+1) << 7 ;

tile fog_tile = getTileByIndex(fog_tile_overlay_index);
}

Advanced:

To reduce the number of tiles, you can utilize symmetries by mirroring or rotating the tiles on the fly.

an alternative is to render those black tiles into a white surface and put a gaussian blur on it, then multiply the full rendered tiled screen with the blurred surface. as a gimmick, instead of having just fully fogged or non-fogged tiles, you could actually use values inbetween, either by distance to that tile or time based once a tile is uncovered.

if you draw in software, that fog can be calculated in a one channel texture and gaussian blur is separable, with two passes it's fast enough for most cpus.

You might also want to reconsider your fog as shadows, and implement a lighting system instead, since the example you provided uses the "fog of war" as sort of shadows.

o3o

ok, thank you guys. that really helped.

I just have one more question. I want know how to implement the other type of fog of war. specifically this type:-

new_fog_of_war_thanks.jpg

oum9hk.jpg

How is this implemented? does it use some kind of pixel shader?

For a game that's mostly top-down, you could probably get away with an alpha blended texture on top of everything else that scrolls at a slightly different rate than the viewport.

the first screenshot looks like simple range based lighting, the further it's away, the less bright it is. there are various ways to implement it, simplest is probably to just multiply some texture over the screen that has the circle with falloff.

2nd looks like 2d lighting with shadowmapping, applied on top of the 3d rendering to simulate the player's view. there is a neat article bout it here on gamedev:

http://archive.gamedev.net/archive/reference/programming/features/2dsoftshadow/page3.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement