Designing a central goal in exploration games without RPG elements.

Started by
22 comments, last by valrus 9 years, 11 months ago

This strikes me as very much like the game Myst - mostly exploration and adventure, maybe some puzzles thrown in there. If you don't have puzzles and only have the craft-stuff-to-unlock areas technique (which I actually rather like, by the way - provided you over enough ways to use it well), then in order to make the player WANT to move between the different areas you are going to need story.

A good, compelling story can give the character motivation to go pretty much anywhere. It can also help provide more gameplay itself, when certain puzzles incorporate elements from the narrative. Maybe you're looking for a lost family member, or a disappeared deity, or trying to find the secrets behind KFC's original recipe. Whatever. I'm sure you could find a way to match lots of story types to the gameplay.

So, obviously that's different than needing another gameplay mechanic, but I really think it is your clear choice here. The majority of other "fixes" will drift you closer to an RPG, which you do not seem to want.

I Create Games to Help Tell Stories

Advertisement

Another possibility that came to mind is that each level/game/whatever they are a pioneer from semi-random culture X who needs to prepare the random island for habitation by their people. Their people have semi-random requirements Y, e.g. must be safe, must have water, must have hunting, must find cultural artefacts, must build a town hall, whatever. The player having varying terrain, goals and abilities would give a lot of potential variation.

The last exploration game I bought had no real point to it, and I paid a substantially higher price for it than your average game on said platform.

Where I'm going with this, is maybe you don't need a point. Some gamers consider a game with no point a breath of fresh air. After all, you aren't making a RPG where some point is generally expected...

Another possibility that came to mind is that each level/game/whatever they are a pioneer from semi-random culture X who needs to prepare the random island for habitation by their people. Their people have semi-random requirements Y, e.g. must be safe, must have water, must have hunting, must find cultural artefacts, must build a town hall, whatever. The player having varying terrain, goals and abilities would give a lot of potential variation.

That's a pretty neat idea. It's almost like playing as the Settler piece in Civ :)

A further idea: The next time you play, you can play on the same island but hundreds of years later, now with the ruins of the culture from the last time you played. (Or even swap islands with your friends, and poke around in their ruins.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement