free private SVN with biggest disk space?

Started by
23 comments, last by fastcall22 7 years, 5 months ago

I also use Assembla, though I pay $9 (about £6 for me) per month for access to the integrated ticketing and project management stuff on there, as well as increased SVN space. If it's going to be something I use every day then paying a small fee for good quality service is worth it.

Visit http://www.mugsgames.com

Stroids, a retro style mini-game for Windows PC. http://barryskellern.itch.io/stroids

Mugs Games on Twitter: [twitter]MugsGames[/twitter] and Facebook: www.facebook.com/mugsgames

Me on Twitter [twitter]BarrySkellern[/twitter]

Advertisement

For those who find this now, the OP actually had the solution. Dropbox + SVN is a fine solution and one that my team has been using for awhile now. Once you have Dropbox installed on your machine you can create an SVN workspace within that folder and checkin/out files as normal. It's nice when you get 100 gigs for $9.00 dollars a month and it spans across your team. Of course unless you have the business Dropbox that has multiple users you have to make sure you trust your team with your dropbox account information to get access to the SVN repo.

You can use this to help

http://foyzulkarim.blogspot.com/2012/12/dropbox-as-svn-repository.html

Thanks,

-Anthony

Uziel was defeated by Tiny Mandragora.

Another vote for Assembla, it looks like their free plans cover what was asked for, except only 1GB instead of 5GB. Also, they support the site (see the bottom of every page for their link with a special gamedev promo code) so that's a good reason to send them a thank you note, if nothing else.

The Dropbox+SVN method is dangerous, you run a high risk of corrupting your repository when syncing between multiple devices because there is no concept of authority.
Unless your entire team is very strict and coordinated when updating the repository, avoid this at all costs.

If SVN is not a requirement, I strongly recommend a private BitBucket git repository.
Engine, graphics, low-level, security and cross-platform programming. xsngine

Aside from the free personal plan, Assembla offers a paid plan for $14 a month, featuring integrated ticketing and robust project management, as well as SVN, git, and Perforce Hosting (P4) for really big files - 3D models, video, graphics, etc.

It also include:

• Collaborative Code Review & Merge
  • Supports stream depots
  • Offers Team & Branch Permissions

Here's the free trail link: https://www.assembla.com/game-developers

Yep, most flexible free solution is to host it yourself laugh.png Leave a PC on 24/7 running the SVN daemon, and tell your router to forward the SVN ports on to that PC.

Alternatively, it's free to rent a private host in the amazon cloud with 5GB of storage (for the first 12 months).

[edit] as pointed out below this can be as expensive as renting a server/service -- A 250W PC * 0.15c/kWh * 24hrs * 30days = ~$27/month -- so check your utility rates and look into low-power PCs to use as the server biggrin.png

Instead of a PC you can use a NAS too (best to use a NAS with RAID for data security). Many NAS (e.g. qnap) have a solid power management including a spin-down of the harddisks.

If the NAS is not able to handle SVN (either it does not allow installation of SVN or the processor is not powerful enough), you can still use it as simple data storage for your repository (much like a cloud-storage) and install SVN on your dev-machine. Thought this will not be really useful in a multi-user environment.

[edit] as pointed out below this can be as expensive as renting a server/service -- A 250W PC * 0.15c/kWh * 24hrs * 30days = ~$27/month -- so check your utility rates and look into low-power PCs to use as the server

For comparison: I'm running an old Core2 Duo linux based server at 65W and a new i5 QNAP NAS at 50W (measured during idle but rotating HDDs), each one with 4 HDDs in RAID 1+0. When disks get parked during low access frequency times, the values drop accordingly.

Yep, most flexible free solution is to host it yourself laugh.png Leave a PC on 24/7 running the SVN daemon, and tell your router to forward the SVN ports on to that PC.

Alternatively, it's free to rent a private host in the amazon cloud with 5GB of storage (for the first 12 months).

[edit] as pointed out below this can be as expensive as renting a server/service -- A 250W PC * 0.15c/kWh * 24hrs * 30days = ~$27/month -- so check your utility rates and look into low-power PCs to use as the server biggrin.png

You get a few zeroes wrong there? Looks like you forget some of the magnitude differences in the units.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=250W+*+0.15c%2FkWh+*+1+month

"250 W (watts)×0.15¢/kW·h (US cents per kilowatt hour)×1 month"

"27.40¢ (US cents)"

If you have the hardware, internet, etc. already, then not so pricey (assuming that 0.15c/kWh is right, I don't personally pay direct so not even sure for my own country).

You get a few zeroes wrong there? Looks like you forget some of the magnitude differences in the units.

Yes, he was using the wrong units. Consumer electricity rates are about 15 cents per kilowatt-hour, not 0.15 cents. The final answer of almosdt 30 USD per month was correct.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Didn't see anyone mentioning this (often overlooked) detail:

A very important part of having your files hosted is also security.

Not from theft, but from things like flooding, fire and disk/hardware failure.

If you choose to host it on your own hardware, you should make sure to protect your data from those issues too, they are actually a lot more likely to happen, then someone trying to steal your files.

Add the hardware for it (or separate online service), and hassle of that, to the electricity bill, and suddenly 10-20 bucks per month isn't that expensive anymore.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement