Programing language for 3D games

Started by
22 comments, last by sphere89 9 years, 7 months ago
The PS4 OS (Orbit) is based on FreeBSD (the largest of the BSD projects and the most optimized for the x86 architecture). I love developing for OpenBSD (and FreeBSD) because it is a really clean implementation of UNIX. However it is very different to developing for something locked down and restricted like Orbit. Kinda like how developing for Android (Linux based) is much less fun than developing for a typical Linux distribution like Fedora.

I know you wanted to start with 3D but I would highly recommend doing a very simple console program (i.e a simple question based menu system) then one very simple 2D program (i.e pong) before you start with 3D.

The step up between 2D and 3D is much bigger than between any programming languages like Python and C++.
If you want to jump before you can walk, dont do it at this stage ;)

2D will also allow you to experiment quicker, think of it not as a separate project perhaps but as a prototype.

As for language. If you are doing this project for a hobby and perhaps some income, then any of the languages and technologies suggested in this thread are good. If you want to use this code as demonstration of your skills to potentially get a professional job in the industry (not just games), then you are really going to want to be using C++.
http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.
Advertisement

But you also study Havok, which is a C++ physics engine, with no known C# binding. That means, you'd have to learn C++, because if not, you won't be able to use Havok (unless you write your own bindings, but to do that you alsp need to know C++).

Is Lua also a language used in Havocks' engine.?

Always thinking outside of the box, wondering what's inside.

I don't completely understand this statement yet, but I think I know what your getting at. I have heard a lot about Unity, and it seems like something I might look into at some point. Is Unity related to C#, kind of like Havok is related to C++? I thought I had seen it referenced somewhere that it was.

Well, Unity's core engine is written in C++, but it allows you to script the engine with either C#, UnityScript (a JS variant), or Boo (Python-like language).

But you also study Havok, which is a C++ physics engine, with no known C# binding. That means, you'd have to learn C++, because if not, you won't be able to use Havok (unless you write your own bindings, but to do that you alsp need to know C++).

Is Lua also a language used in Havocks' engine.?

You can script Havok with Lua, but like I said, you're still studying 2 languages at once.

Not to mention that it seems to require a VS plugin to use the Lua scripting feature. You'd need a non-free VS license for that.

My advice would be to leave havok alone for now, wait until you're at the very least familiar enough with one programming language, THEN switch to C++ and learn Havok. Then, but not before.

Try pygame for beginning, python is easy way to OOP. look at game logic, loop, events, it based on SDL library that written in C++. When you say I want more. Start learning java core + OpenGL, you can do write very good software with it. When you took yourself that you want create best games start to learn C++. Language just a tool. You need more knowledge in mathematics, algorithms, object oriented programming, trigonometry. And all of it, experience! Good luck

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement