Should I stick with programming or game engine?

Started by
13 comments, last by ngbeslhang 9 years, 7 months ago

Engine for sure, you don't have a clue how far you're from building a game from scratch.

Even with an engine you'll have to learn a lot.

Advertisement

Doh! Sorry, I typed that from my phone. Yes, DO NOT skip those.

So do I. I am confused when you said that to me actually.

I would advise skipping those two tutorials. One of them is 'random number generation' and the other one is 'sorting arrays.' Both of those are used pretty heavily in game programming.

If you are using an engine on the programming side, you MUST start with programming. Some engines have artist flexible tools that allow object and behavior creation through visual scripts, however, they usually do not provide the level of access needed for certain areas and tend to be limited in what they can achieve. You will need to get down and dirty in code. Plain and simple. Make sure you learn your basics and know those basics well.

As for question 2, this is the wrong forum. As Sloper said, ask in the art forum.

1. So did you mean I should completely avoid them or?
2. Since I knew some basics of C++ (not OPP though) I think it's perhaps not a major problem.
3. I knew it already, will remove question 2 later.
1. I think that he meant to say you shouldnt skip them because they are heavily used in game programming. So, go back and watch them because you will be wanting to use them.
2. Specifically for a language as complicated as C++ is, just knowing some basics of C++ isn't really good enough to pass off having a satisfactory understanding. It may be boring but if you don't know exactly what you're doing then you're probably going to be writing ugly, inefficient code and most likely copy-pasting a lot of code that other people use but you don't really understand, which is never a good thing. So make sure you really have a solid understanding of C++ before you start into a serious project. It's fine to just mess around with creating simple games like a tic-tac-toe or pong clone as a way to help learn the language, but if you go into a large project without a really good understanding then you're setting yourself up for failure. I learned that the hard way.
I do agree with both. But for random number generator I do have my own idea.

First, declare two integer called date and time which stores current date or time then randomize both of them. (Date will be in format DDMMYY, time will be in format HHMMSS.)

Last, declare the integer called number which contains the sum of integers date and time and randomize it.

Anyway, I'll listen to you guys.

Engine for sure, you don't have a clue how far you're from building a game from scratch.

Even with an engine you'll have to learn a lot.

I know.
A C++ programming beginner from Malaysia.

Depending on "why" you are game programming, I'm going to suggest perhaps not using an engine at first.

There are definitely two approaches here. Personally, I have gone the non-engine route, and I have to say, it has helped me in my understanding of general programming quite a bit. It's forced me into learning aspects of c++ (just because that's what I'm currently learning, this should apply to whatever language) I probably would not have bothered looking into, were there not the challenges of building a game without an engine. But, I definitely think that some engines may discourage you from furthering your programming knowledge simply because you won't need to. If you really want to know the ins and outs of game programming, I think doing things yourself is a great, albeit considerably slower/more difficult route.

On the other hand, if what you're really interested in is simply getting a game done, then an engine is the way to go. You can focus purely (mostly) on the game design aspects, artwork, level design, mechanics etc and not spend time dealing with the more mundane aspects of game creation.

I don't think there's a right answer, it just sort of depends on why you're spending your time learning to make games :)

Beginner here <- please take any opinions with grain of salt

First, declare two integer called date and time which stores current date or time then randomize both of them. (Date will be in format DDMMYY, time will be in format HHMMSS.)

Last, declare the integer called number which contains the sum of integers date and time and randomize it.

Do you have a mathematical prove that this method is good for random number generation? You'll obviously get some unexpected values, but that doesn't mean they're random (or "work" as random). If you're not worried about that do it as you want, but it's always better to use more standard methods for this kind of things. Random numbers are a hard thing to do in a computer, maybe you already know, but the best thing you can get are actually pseudorandom numbers, the same seed will produce the same sequence.

Anyway, you said that you'll create the integer "number" and randomize it, so you mean that "number" is just the seed? If so, you're just creating a seed with a complex procedure and making it shorter at the same time (6 digits + 6 digits = 7 digits at most, when current time expressed in UNIX format can have up to 10 digits i think).

EDIT: Sorry, you'll also randomize time and date, so you can have larger seeds, but it still looks like a waste ot time, you'll get a seed that's equaly as usefull as using just the current time.

Do you have a mathematical prove that this method is good for random number generation? You'll obviously get some unexpected values, but that doesn't mean they're random (or "work" as random). If you're not worried about that do it as you want, but it's always better to use more standard methods for this kind of things. Random numbers are a hard thing to do in a computer, maybe you already know, but the best thing you can get are actually pseudorandom numbers, the same seed will produce the same sequence.

Anyway, you said that you'll create the integer "number" and randomize it, so you mean that "number" is just the seed? If so, you're just creating a seed with a complex procedure and making it shorter at the same time (6 digits + 6 digits = 7 digits at most, when current time expressed in UNIX format can have up to 10 digits i think).

EDIT: Sorry, you'll also randomize time and date, so you can have larger seeds, but it still looks like a waste ot time, you'll get a seed that's equaly as usefull as using just the current time.

Do you have a mathematical prove that this method is good for random number generation?

No.

I'll go to that chapter and relearn.

I agree with you that using current time as seed is useful enough. I think I'll use the date+time method for encoder thing.
A C++ programming beginner from Malaysia.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement