The Week of Awesome II - Unnofficial After Party

Started by
86 comments, last by Orymus3 9 years, 6 months ago

Admin Thread: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/660249-the-week-of-awesome-ii-the-second-annual-unofficial-gamedev-competition/

Competition Thread: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/661224-the-week-of-awesome-ii-the-competition-thread/

Judging Thread: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/661418-the-week-of-awesome-ii-the-judge-thread/

I wanted to chat with the other participants about last week's events, but the two main threads were already locked. First of all, Congratulations to all the participants who managed to make a submission. Shipping a working game in seven days is no small feat and you should all be proud of yourselves. I saw some really cool entries take shape over the last week. Great job everyone.

I would like to use this thread as a spot for us to wind down the competition and talk about our games.

EckTech Games - Games and Unity Assets I'm working on
Still Flying - My GameDev journal
The Shilwulf Dynasty - Campaign notes for my Rogue Trader RPG

Advertisement

Other than the question regarding the entries of other teams, are those not questions that would be answered in a post-mortem?

(Speaking of which, thank you: I've been somewhat uncertain of what to include in my post-mortem.)

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

Indeed they are. I had planned on doing a post mortem in my journal for my own benefit. I was hoping to prompt other people to do the same so I could learn even more. :)

Plus I wanted a spot for us to just chat about the competition if there was interest.

- Eck

I'm not averse to chatting about the competition. ^_^

(I am, however, a bit tired for suggesting actual topics of conversation. Sorry. ^^; )

As to post-mortems, I suppose that I was imagining that they would go into our journals--that's what I had in mind (as I mentioned in the judging thread).

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

Nice thread ;)
So happy to successfully posting a version on time.

Funny thing: the original concept and name of my game was under the bed, where you use a flashlight to find the monsterous toys ubder your bed but eventually i decided to base the idea on a personal story (the shelves) which fitted perfectly not only in design but also in graphic manner - much easier to place toys on a shelf than under the bed...

Cant wait for the responses from people/judges! Though slicer couldnt get it running so im pretty nervous, hope there isnt a bug...

Congratz to everybody i will play as many games as i could in my spare time, already seen amazing games.

Hmmm, I think you're right Thaumaturge, I'll edit my first post and make this the general hang-out spot. Post mortem-y stuff belongs up in the journals, not here. My post was already getting pretty big and didn't seem to fit. (Speaking of Post Mortem's) I hope people do take the time to write a post mortem journal entry for their game.

Nice thread ;)
So happy to successfully posting a version on time.

Funny thing: the original concept and name of my game was under the bed, where you use a flashlight to find the monsterous toys ubder your bed but eventually i decided to base the idea on a personal story (the shelves) which fitted perfectly not only in design but also in graphic manner - much easier to place toys on a shelf than under the bed...

Cant wait for the responses from people/judges! Though slicer couldnt get it running so im pretty nervous, hope there isnt a bug...

Congratz to everybody i will play as many games as i could in my spare time, already seen amazing games.

I think everyone who finished is breathing a heavy sigh of relief. I'm looking forward to trying out the different games and anxiously await the judging. I've been so paranoid about getting my game to run on other people's computers. I must have pestered my friends like a hundred times with different versions and finally got it working. At my last job, we had so many issues getting a build out the door that I've become paranoid about deployment. :)

What, no free booze? tongue.png

Feature I'm proud of: Probably the little systems I made for popping up dialogue, force controlling objects, shaking the screen, changing the lights, etc. I've not made a game so linear and scripted before! And I was surprised that even though I rushed into it without much forethought, the system wasn't that awful, it was quite easy to spam in new scenes.

Other teams' coolness: I didn't have much time to follow the journals, maybe I was scared of coolness overload? ;)

Concept change: It didn't change to much in terms of gameplay at all. What did change a lot of the story... It was originally meant to be a tragic horror, believe it or not! It turned into a slapstick comedy. The original story featured the player getting radiated and loosing his mind, seeing his own daughter who he gradually believed was a psyco. Think kinda like Event Horizon, but a sub instead o a space ship.

What I learned: If I knew why I knew things and where I learned them, I'd only know half as much! In retrospect I know there's things I could do better and more simply. But generally I think it was just a good boost to experience, like I said, I haven't made such a linear/scripted story driven game before. smile.png

Screw ups: I don't think I did really. Surprisingly everything went to plan! In final testing I only found 1 bug that's quite tricky to get and doesn't really break anything.

One more day: NOPE. I couldn't handle another day. tongue.png That was exhausting enough!

*continues search for Jam booze*

EDIT: Ninja'd! I just awnsered them all! :P

@Truerror from http://www.gamedev.net/topic/660249-the-week-of-awesome-ii-the-second-annual-unofficial-gamedev-competition/?view=findpost&p=5183619

Yes, I got my official entry in the real thread luckily. Thank you for your post. :) One of the things I screwed up was posting all my updates to the admin thread, so there's a "2 posts in competition thread" over on the judge's thread. I hope I didn't screw up those participation points. angry.png Hopefully my daily journals and participation on other people's journals will count enough for the participation points.

Hide Stats/ShowStats still shows stats for one guy. Yeah, it always shows the selected guy's stats as a visual indicator. At first, I was always drawing the stat blocks, but the AI's spawned units were random and on top of each other which made it so cluttered that you couldn't see anything. I spread them out a bit, and put in the feature to show/hide all but the selected guy's stats.

Unit speeds slow down after attacking. What's probably going on is that turning takes time. You should see the time tick down in the stat block when you turn.

Was fun, lots of really great entries!

I started mine one day after the competition began, and was happy with my idea, but as usual way too much other work during the week. But was fun to try to implement as much as possible in the last couple of hours before deadline :)

I tried your entry Eck but it just crashes on startup before anything is shown at all. Win7 x64, AMD GPU.

I'm in the process of finishing my Post-Mortem, and it will be a meaty one at that. I don't think anyone here will have sufficiently recovered from last week to actually go through that read just yet though, so it's good we have a thread to let the link "die slowly" ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement