More Music Mondays

Started by
15 comments, last by CCH Audio 9 years, 5 months ago

Sure, the price for each musician ranged from $40 to $60 bucks an hour. Several of them had minimums, so even if I only used them for 2 hours, I had to pay for three hours of studio time. That's to make sure it's worth their while with travel and learning the music, etc. One musician had a clause where it was either $100 per tune to learn or $50 bucks per hour in the studio, whichever was greater.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Advertisement

So anyway I'm still curious what mic& pre did you use on that flute and how did you have the positioning set up?

I think he was using a Nueman and it was positioned above her. I should've taken a picture of it but didn't. I had a total of four sessions, each about two hours or so long and then one final 5 hour session with just the engineer. He has fantastic gear and plugs. I've got quite a bit of studio envy!

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Nice, in the Forest Theme the violin really shines through at 1:04 to the end. Love the ambience!

Town Theme is giving me like an Age-Of-Empires West-meets-Middle-East type of vibe (if that makes any sense at all). Can't beat the live guitars - tho I wonder what it would've sounded on a nylon string? Awesome either way

Celtic Theme makes me feel like I'm in Whiterun for a minute, then for whatever reason I'm back to the AoE vibe haha. That's a good thing tho! Especially because it sounds leaps and bounds better than the original AoE soundtrack (which is really old at this point).

Good stuff!

Cody D. Boyce

Film & Game Composer cody@musicevolved.net On Twitter @luszid Demo Reel 2014

I think he was using a Nueman and it was positioned above her. I should've taken a picture of it but didn't. I had a total of four sessions, each about two hours or so long and then one final 5 hour session with just the engineer. He has fantastic gear and plugs. I've got quite a bit of studio envy!

Ah cool you have to love the sound of a U87. I would have though it would pick up too much of the low end but it sounds really good in your recording. I had previously tried with brighter mics like 414s and a couple of Blues. I'll have to try that out next time, thanks for the info.

I would have though it would pick up too much of the low end but it sounds really good in your recording.

We EQed out quite a bit of the low end. You should have seen the percussion session! So many mics! So many toys... erm, I mean drums. Drums.

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

We EQed out quite a bit of the low end. You should have seen the percussion session! So many mics! So many toys... erm, I mean drums. Drums.

Ha yeah I've spent close to a whole day setting up drums before to get them 'just right'. Snare, kick, 2 overheads, 1 room, 1 for every tom, and then making sure that everything sounds good and isn't phasing. Drums are just a stupid amount of work.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement