Live filesystem changes

Started by
14 comments, last by SeanMiddleditch 9 years, 5 months ago

bittorrent sync allows me to use my drive so im not limited to space anything less than 5gb is too small 10gb may do theres alot of different versions for testing that take alot of extra space the game sits at around 350mb though

bittorrent sync seems to be ideal perfect fit for what were doing

Advertisement

Although I completely agree whole heartedly with the version control crowd, with the very dangerous game you're playing otherwise (accidents are just waiting to happen, backups or not!), I do think BitTorrent Sync is a viable (sane) solution in your scenario, provided you are careful and patient...

I looked into it when I wanted to basically provide a local Windows workstation with a one-way mirror of my game project files, for testing out builds. BitTorrent Sync would have been where I stopped if I didn't insist on one-way at the time. If you are ever in the market for a similar product but on steroids -- many additional features (fine tuning options, for one) -- you might check out Unison. There's a GTK & command line port of it. I'd personally stick w/ BitTorrent Sync, though, until you actually come across a problem it can't handle.

I don't see how something like this can work without version control (Git sounds easiest). Just synchronizing between computers won't do it. If either of you introduces breaking changes that prevents a build the other cannot work properly until those issues are fixed. There will always be times when one needs to work for hours until you can compile again and the other needs a new debug build every few minutes.

My suggestions would be: Both of you work in your own Git repository. You can commit and revert as you see fit there. When you have finished something you push to another (local) Git repository. That repository is synchronized between you by whatever program you choose. The other has to pull from that repository when it's convenient for them.

Of course things would be easier with a centralized Git/SVN/whatever repo on a server reachable by both of you, but I'm not sure about sensible offers out there.

Just get an account on https://bitbucket.org/ and make a repository! You can have unlimited free private and public repositories and choose between git and Mercurial.

If you dont change the same file at same time a merge is mostly going automatically anyway and much safer than you both constantly having to endure a broken build as the other is typing in more code that gets synchronized too early.

i second bitbucket. its free and easy to set up. just download git extensions, which you can integrate with your visual studio if your using that. There really is no reason not to use version control. if you muck something up, you can easily go back to anytime at all. i am the only one working on my project, and i still use bitbucket. its sweet because i've made some mistakes and had to go back a couple months to replace current code with what i had a month ago. if your working with someone, just right click on your project folder, click commit and push, then tell them you've uploaded your changes, he can pull the changes and have the right away

Yeah I get the whole git thing lol but if we each checkout and modify different parts we would have to merge and checkout to see them that isnt ideal

It's hugely ideal. Your copy of the codebase is entirely under your control, cohesive, and (assuming you didn't break anything) will compile any time you want. You also have full history in case you want to undo a change (including your partner's changes) for whatever reason (and yes, they come up a lot). Merging is also a good thing, and it's only ever troublesome if you're actually changing the same code (in which you'll be damn glad you're using a VCS).

so any sort of version control is unnecessary

This phrase ranks in the top 10 most foolish things novice programmers have uttered throughout the entire history of computing.

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement