Other Reasons Laptop Is Overheating ( n5010 - WIN7 ) ?

Started by
16 comments, last by JohnnyCode 9 years, 1 month ago

I think you'll find that your heatsink will need to be replaced. The copper pipes actually contain a gas to help the heat travel along them; over time this gas can leak, rendering your heatsink useless. You can tell if this is the case by opening up your laptop and touching the copper pipe while your laptop is on - if it's cold to the touch, you'll need to replace it. Feeling cold air coming out the vent while the laptop is overheating would also indicate this.

I wouldn't bother trying to use copper shims. I spent at least $30 trying to avoid replacing the heatsink in my laptop, when I should have spent that on a new heatsink to begin with.

You can easily order a replacement heatsink from China using a website such as aliexpress.

Advertisement

I think you'll find that your heatsink will need to be replaced. The copper pipes actually contain a gas to help the heat travel along them; over time this gas can leak, rendering your heatsink useless. You can tell if this is the case by opening up your laptop and touching the copper pipe while your laptop is on - if it's cold to the touch, you'll need to replace it. Feeling cold air coming out the vent while the laptop is overheating would also indicate this.

The sink is hot as #### !

I'll see if I can find a new one - thanks

Dell-m5010-Fan.jpg

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

If it's blowing out hot air then your heatsink is working (unless the fan isn't spinning fast enough to accomodate). When my laptop was overheating I was able to touch the copper without burning myself and even at 90C+ the vents were blowing out cold air.

For a long while I changed the max output of my CPU to 70% in Window's power options to stop it from shutting down.

EDIT: I can see from the image you posted that the manufacturer decided to use a single heatpipe to cool both the CPU and GPU which was the same mistake HP made with its earlier consumer laptops. Has your laptop always had overheating issues or has it just degraded overtime?

EDIT: I can see from the image you posted that the manufacturer decided to use a single heatpipe to cool both the CPU and GPU which was the same mistake HP made with its earlier consumer laptops. Has your laptop always had overheating issues or has it just degraded overtime?

It has degraded over the last couple months ...

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Aside from the heatsink itself, have you looked at the thermal paste on the CPU? That can degrade and you are no longer dissipating properly.

is it a nvidia gpu the new updates turn of v-sync or they did on my pc last update.

Clean it up real good, add thermal paste and install it again.

Oh and check the fan is actually working (like actually blowing air not just making noise).

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Clean it up real good, add thermal paste and install it again.

The hot precessors quite need this much surpirisingly! With estrogen of a hunter being!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement