Looking to give back

Started by
3 comments, last by Aardvajk 9 years, 1 month ago

After teaching a game dev bootcamp for teens over the summer, I've had the itch to start a blog to help people get into programming/game dev/building stuff. The only thing is that there are a ton of directions to take this vague idea, and I want to write things that, you know, people want to read.

I'm working as a professional game programmer, finishing a master's degree in computer science after getting an unrelated bachelor's degree, I've tested ways to make myself more productive, I believe I interview well, and I am not afraid to negotiate salary. I don't write that to sound like I'm bragging, I'm just trying to describe what I feel I'm bringing to the table.

So what would you find more interesting to read about, or what is most outside of your personal wheelhouse?

A) Making games / getting into the game industry

B) Productivity / increasing your focus on coding

C) Interviewing / negotiating / getting a job

D) Programming skills / debugging / building things a step at a time

E) Something else altogether?

A lot of people start programming blogs, but they're generally very unfocused or full of the same information as everyone else (learn C++! Starting out in web dev! The best IDE to use!). All of that is important and I have my opinions, but I want to actually add value to the internet.

I'd love if you'd vote for one of the options I wrote by leaving a comment. If you're already solid in everything I listed, a vote for what you think less experienced people could use would be great too. Thanks everyone!

Current game dev student at DePaul University in Chicago
Portfolio and current projects at http://philipbuuck.com
Advertisement

Personally, I think picking a single subject and sticking with it is great. My personal learning curve so far has meant picking bits and pieces from books, tutorials, youtube videos, etc. They were often unhelpful, contradictory to things I'd already learned, not thorough enough, too specialized, not specialized enough etc, etc. But, anyhow, I wouldn't discount the usefulness and value of a good programming tutorial. There are plenty of poor and incomplete resources out there, but the good ones seem few and far between.

The resources I found most useful had focus, started at the beginning, and didn't skip anything along the way, and most importantly, explained why I was doing something. Context is incredibly helpful.

Of your options, I'd pick D, as many of the others are really only relevant once you're far enough into the process where you're less likely to need guidance on those things, and there are plenty of resources as it is. Debugging, best practices, overall structure are often kind of glossed over.

Edit*
I'd also add optimization guidelines, best practices and methods to this list.

Beginner here <- please take any opinions with grain of salt

Pretty similar to what Misantes stated.

But if I may... Can I make a request that you spend time on the lower level systems that is important to a game as well? Memory Management, Resource Management, and Serialization are crucial parts of the system... but there aren't any details that I know of that goes into depth with it's concept.

Example... for Memory Management. The most that you will probably get is what pools, memory stacks, ect are. But you will never learn how to write one. Or the basics of writing one. I tried deciphering one... but the way it's designed made little sense.

since there are so many tutorials and stuff on programming itself id say B or something about design, release etc

The first question one should ask before writing a tutorial is "Is there already a good tutorial available for this that I cannot improve on?"

Unless the answer is no, the most helpful thing one can do for beginners is link to the existing one rather than provide yet another one, adding to their confusion. There are far, far too many tutorials for game development and beginners must get overwhelmed.

This is why I don't write tutorials. If you have something new to bring, good luck to you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement