visually equip items in RPG project

Started by
0 comments, last by frob 9 years, 1 month ago

In a previous project made with Ogre3D, I implemented a simple system to equip items in my RPG: I have a base character model and to equip something I just attach the mesh to a bone (helment, to the head bone, armor, to some torso bone, etc). I restarted the project using Urho3D and made a quick test, and it works. But I was talking to my 3D artist and he pointed me one flaw in the idea: the armor mesh could produce a clipping effect, getting into character's body, and same for other stuff like gloves. The suggestion in Urho3D forum was to make the character bones to affect the the armor mesh, all this inside Blender. The problem is that if I have several different armors, how do I do this? The artists suggests splitting the character in submeshes: head, torso, hands, ec, each one with a material. Equipping an armor would be simply changing the material, and perhaps adding a little detail mesh. He says thats the Elder Scrolls method. That is not as easy as handling one scene node+base model, it requires several children nodes, each one having its own AnimatedModel component. The good side is that I can customize player look by simply changing head!

Can somebody give me a suggestion about this?

Advertisement
Not much to add, you basically summed it up.

Single attachment slot is easy but leads to more clipping. That's an art bug, and LOTS of games ship with these.

Multiple attachment slots is harder and leads to less clipping. That's also an art bug and LOTS of games ship with these.

Animations with big clothing attached leads to clipping. That's also an art bug and LOTS of games ship with these.

Every game I've worked on has shipped with a bunch of "will not fix" costume clipping bugs. Do your best, have your modelers and animators work on the worst of them, understand that sometimes as characters move their clothing will graphically clip into other objects or themselves.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement