Did I Work On This Game?

Started by
5 comments, last by DanglinBob 8 years, 11 months ago

Hi,

So a few months ago I landed a job as a game developer. My main role is to implement some animation software and its API into our current engine, and to help integrate our new workflow into other projects.

We have a game coming out soon, which uses the new software and my implementation of their API. However, it uses it in a very small way (one screen at the start), the game could have used more of it, but I joined very late on that project and I have been focusing on a different project. That said, the publishers did point it out as being a nice touch, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

So can I say I worked on this project and class it as a released game I have worked on, even though my contribution was very small?

Mobile Developer at PawPrint Games ltd.

(Not "mobile" as in I move around a lot, but as in phones, mobile phone developer)

(Although I am mobile. no, not as in a babies mobile, I move from place to place)

(Not "place" as in fish, but location.)

Advertisement

I don't think it would be unreasonable to put that as an "Additional Programming" credit on your C.V.

Yes.

Hopefully you'll have a couple of proper titles on your CV by the time you look for a new job, and this can sit as a single bullet point in an 'Other TItles' section.

Just don't exaggerate it on your CV, the chances are reasonable that the guy who will interview you will know someone who was on that game team for the entire project, and you really don't want to be caught out in a lie.

In my opinion, you worked on the animation software, and you can put this one on your list of projects. But if you only implemented the animation software and the API, you didn't do anything directly related to the game using it, so you shouldn't claim you worked on that game. Listing the game as a "this was made with my software" is something different and, again in my opinion, justifiable.

You could just compare it with the developers of major engines, like Unity, the Unreal, Source, or Cry Engine. just because they implemented something you're using doesn't mean they worked on your game. They built the engine, the game uses this engine, but that's it: they worked on the engine.

Yeah I would expect that you'd be in the credits list under "additional programming". Is this not the case?

Being credited is up to the studio, but on your own cv I'd say absolutely- though I wouldn't exaggerate it and replace it with more meaningful items as you gain experience.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement