Windows 10 is hideously ugly, any tips on how to fix?

Started by
105 comments, last by jbadams 8 years, 8 months ago

At this point I'm just going to ask everyone (yes, including our moderators) to try to calm down a bit and keep any further responses to this topic civil, as we're borderline having to close it and I think it could still be an interesting discussion if allowed to continue.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Advertisement

Broken DPI scaling is the fault of the program, not the OS. MS has provided DPI scaling APIs for years. Tell your program creator to get with the program (as it were).

This isn't really true. I have high DPI monitors and though Win10 seemed a bit more designed for it in general Windows than Win7, there were still system dialogs that were unusable on Win10 when set to 300%. In general had at least as many problems with scaling during the little time I spend with Win10 as I had when setting it up on Win7. After the first week problems are pretty much a non-issue on Win7 though except for a few specific programs, primarily Skype and iTunes.

Honestly I'm happy about this change. Unpatched software is the leading cause of botnets. The more automated we can make updates for non-computer-savvy people, the better. Too bad Adobe and Oracle still make it a giant pain in the rear to update...

Meh, maybe, I don't mind them hiding the "disable" button in some obscure registry settings so only people who actually care disable it, but this whole one size fits all doesn't actually fit me... updates for non-computer-savvy people isn't really relevant at all to the professional version, which also forces updates, they just let you defer them until they reach the "business branch" which is a bit behind. Great to avoid bugs, but does nothing to skip a feature I don't actually want. I guess my major problem is actually precisely the fact that they take things that are meant for casual users and put them on computers that will never be used for anything other than work.

Not that I know exactly how it works, and even finding out seems like more work than it's worth it at the moment, + I'm sure it will change over the coming months anyway. Should be more clear in ~ a year.

I will read up on the server-version sometime though, I know that for Win8 a lot of stuff can actually be disabled if you really get into the administrator settings on Windows Server versions.

Adobe pushes updates like no other. Really starting to dislike them too, running 7 background processes just cause Photoshop and Acrobat is installed, even though neither is open, and two icons right now asking me to update. And I've even unchecked most of the boxes I've been able to find in various settings.

Broken DPI scaling is the fault of the program, not the OS. MS has provided DPI scaling APIs for years. Tell your program creator to get with the program (as it were).

And yet its many of the Windows 10 dialogs that are broken. Where do I tell MS to 'get with the program'?

Install a different antivirus program and it'll disable itself. Don't know why you'd want to run a computer unprotected anyway.

I've never had or needed real-time anti-virus protection. Occasionally I will manually run a scan, but I certainly do not want it scanning on its own. I understand that your average user probably needs one, but why can't I just have a 'disable' button in the admin panel? I shouldn't have to delve into the registry for something so simple as 'let me manage my own anti-virus'.

Right-click icon, select "Uninstall". Modern apps are uninstalled just by that method rather than having to dig into a control panel. Unlike regular Windows apps, they won't leave anything behind either, because they're self-contained packages.

This does not work for many of the 'built in apps'. It won't let you uninstall them.

All that being said, it's probably not the best idea to get version 1 of anything on day 1 smile.png Heck, you've got a year for them to patch things up before the free offer goes away.

I fully understand that Day 1 releases are inevitably buggy. I made this post to see if anyone had found work arounds to the many problems I've encountered. What I've gotten is mostly just a lot of explanations on why I shouldn't want to find workarounds/fixes. I needed to do a reinstall anyways, so upgrading to Windows 10 and playing around with it prior to wiping everything made sense. I've reinstalled Win 7 and will come back to Win 10 in a year or so to see if anything has changed. I'd like make use of many of the kernel updates, but at this point in time its clearly A) not ready, and B) not meant for me.

Gmail has done this for the better part of a decade. Apple's Mail app on Mac and iOS also do this out of the box.

Is it really a big deal to you that Microsoft may know that you took your laptop to starbucks last Tuesday? Mac OS already does this out of the box, as do all smartphone operating systems.

And that's fine and all, but does it makes it right? This is a textbook fallacy.

I mean, its a very cheap point to make. "OMG but you're using Chrome!" "But you're using an iPhone!". Yes that might be the case, it has nothing to do with what Windows 10 does though.

Does complaining against Microsoft's policies while using an Android phone implies a bit of hypocrisy? Yeah, a bit. Still that only speaks for the person doing the statement, doesn't automatically gives the green light for Microsoft to do whatever it wants, nor it automatically invalidates any "privacy concern" people might have about Windows 10. That's just not how arguments work as far as I know.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Same here, it's too flat and unfinished, lots of missing borders everywhere - in control panel, explorer, etc...

Windows 8.1 was the best, if you used Classic Start Menu (Which I still use on Windows 10). I used start menu only ~20 times, all apps were deleted in program files folder.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/things-i-dont-like-about-windows-10-aka-why/a2a14bfd-80a4-4d9a-aab6-3763759e1de6

{Moderator edit: Removed the content and images that were copied from the article, I think the article link is sufficient in this case}

doesn't automatically gives the green light for Microsoft to do whatever it wants, nor it automatically invalidates any "privacy concern" people might have about Windows 10.

I don't particularly object to the fact that you may find microsoft's much-delayed venture into the modern age objectionable - anyone who wishes to avoid the realities of the modern world is of course free to buy a flip-phone and run the obscure version of linux of their choice.

But the rest of us have been waiting a very long time for Microsoft to 'get with the program' and offer features that are standard everywhere else. It's a pain when every time they make steps in the right direction, a bunch of techies (who by and large are out of touch with the consumer market) start complaining that it isn't the same as the last version...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This does not work for many of the 'built in apps'. It won't let you uninstall them.

In Powershell (you will probably need to run it as an administrator):

Get-AppxPackage | Remove-AppxPackage

Will remove them for the currently logged-on user account, but they will still be available for other user accounts.

Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online

Will remove them for all new user accounts, but will leave the current user account (and other already existing accounts) unchanged.

Easy-peasy.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

I need some English lessons. :(
Red a comment wrong.

Get-AppxPackage | Remove-AppxPackage

Will remove them for the currently logged-on user account, but they will still be available for other user accounts.

Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online

Will remove them for all new user accounts, but will leave the current user account (and other already existing accounts) unchanged.

Easy-peasy.

Good to know. I did find another way around that one as well. There is also a Windows10 theme that does allow you to get color in the title bar back: http://www.windowscentral.com/replace-those-white-title-bars-windows-10-colors-theme

That said I've already wiped it and gone back to Windows 7.

[font=courier new']Get-AppxPackage | Remove-AppxPackage[/font]

[font=courier new']Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online[/font]

Easy-peasy.
Good to know. I did find another way around that one as well. There is also a Windows10 theme that does allow you to get color in the title bar back: http://www.windowscentral.com/replace-those-white-title-bars-windows-10-colors-theme
That said I've already wiped it and gone back to Windows 7.
Thanks for that, might install it when i get home. I'm not much of a fan of these recent "make everything white" shift. For example my note 3(maybe its just the note3 that had this, idk), back when it had 4.2.2(or 4.4.2?) it had colorful icons in the notification bar. Then 4.4.4 got released and suddenly it all shifted to white. While not a critical feature, it was probably the most annoying thing i felt about the updates, still is all white on lollipop.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement