University AI

Started by
3 comments, last by Xperience 8 years, 8 months ago

Hello, it's been a while since I've started with programming and I really enjoy it.

I like to program games, especially their AI. It is something which I want to do, but I don't want to close door for jobs which aren't part of the game industry and maybe once work on real AI(like robots, you know like in the movies)

It's my last year on high school(Electrotechnical school) and I need to choose college to the Christmas.

I'm from Slovakia and we don't have good universities. I would like to go somewhere abroad.

I know that my english isn't very good(I actually don't have a problem with understanding, I can watch movies easily, but rather with speaking) but I'm trying pretty hard and my primary goal for this school year is to improve my english level.

I have allready watched some universities, but they are pretty expensive(like Digipen) and I don't have 100k$.

I would like to hear your opinions about which college should I choose. Thank you

Advertisement

I have allready watched some universities, but they are pretty expensive(like Digipen) and I don't have 100k$.

You don't have to go to an expensive game school. You don't have to have a game degree. You should get a Computer Science degree from a reasonably-priced school. Read this forum's FAQs. Click "Game Industry Job Advice" above, then look for "Getting Started" at the right.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Even in the US, schools where students spend $100K or more are the exception rather than the rule. There are many vocal idiots who spent far more than they should have, attended schools they couldn't afford, assumed that amassing large debt for a specific degree would grant them a high paying job and career success. When they discover they made mistakes, they shout to the world about how unfair the education system is for allowing them to make unwise choices. Attend a school you can afford, there are many good schools with small price tags.

If you are looking for a degree, the general guideline is a degree in computer science.

AI specifically is generally taught as a computer science course or sometimes a mathematics course. Usually it is not taught until the last year of undergraduate studies (the last year of a bachelors degree), sometimes it is not taught until graduate studies. The topic requires a strong math background and a good understanding of how to write code, so usually it is an optional course for the few people who want to study it.

And of course, the education level you need depends on the region of the world. Many game studios are based in cities with multiple colleges and universities, so studios can choose among many workers with degrees in the subject. Some game studios are based in cities where advanced education is less common, so self-education and your own hobby projects are more important than formal education.

If you are from Slovakia then aren't you technically entitled to study in any country in the EU?

Digipen is in the US where Universities are generally more expensive than the rest of the world and also Digipen is an exception in that it is even more expensive than most other US Universities. On top of this you'd also need a US student Visa.

Also most games companies don't care where you got your degree from just that you have one.

Your English is actually quite good but if you want to improve it why not check out Universities in English speaking EU countries. There are several good Universities in England, Wales, Ireland and Scotland (aren't tuition fees free in Scotland for non British EU students?).

Also don't rule out your home country as my colleague who sits on the desk next to me at work is from Slovakia and he went to a Slovakian University and the guy is an absolute genius.

I don't want to go to expensive school. I've allready read FAQ, but I would like to hear how to find good school(what should I: expect, search...) .

I know that it will be taught, but I like challenges. Everything what I know about programming I learned becasue of self-education and my personal projects. I want to create my own webpage where I would like to show my work.

I'm not sure, but I think I am. I chose Digipen only as an example of expensive school.

I've allready looked on some universities in US/EU, but I don't know how to choose good one.

I don't want to spend 5 years because of paper. I'm not telling you that people from Slovakia are fool.

I'm telling you only what I heard from students who attend this schools.

?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement