Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Accurate Analytic Approximations for Real-Time Specular Area Lighting

Started by Hodgman Aug 28, 2015 at 3:21 AM 4 replies 3.5k views
Original Post
Hodgman
Hodgman
Is it just me or is this 2015 SIGGRAPH paper really exciting?

However, I haven't seen any discussions about it yet, and the paper itself is ridiculously light on details. The video has more math in it than the paper!

Paper:
http://jmarvie.free.fr/Publis/2015_SIGGRAPH/2015_SiggraphTalk_AccurateAnalyticApproximationsForRealTimeSpecularAreaLighting.pdf

Video:
TheChubu
TheChubu

It smells like patented.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"   My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and 
Hodgman
Hodgman

It smells like patented.

Yeah I just saw a twitter convo where people were expressing that fear. The author has a long list of patents covering their research publications apparently...

Good news from that convo was that Epic's Brian Karis claims to have independently invented a similar but different technique. Hopefully he shares his findings in the future :)

FreneticPonE
FreneticPonE

Glanced at it, seemed neat but too expensive, or did I get the wrong impression?

yoshi_lol
yoshi_lol

Impressive...

"Some people use Singletons, some people are Simpletons." - Bill Gates
"Yum yum, I luv Cinnabon." - Mahatma Gandhi
Krohm
Krohm

Nice.

Some years ago I spent some time on approximating area lights in a way I could consider passable... I decided to push it in the future and I can totally see that decision as correct.

Previously "Krohm"

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.