Need to be taught to make a 3D MMORPG

Started by
45 comments, last by Alpha_ProgDes 8 years, 7 months ago
Hello me and my friend are up and coming Indie Game Devs! We need someone or a course of some kind to teach us to make an 3D MMORPG we have been planning. We need to be taught to use programs like unity and modeling programs like 3DS Max and to implement models into the game.. We also need to be taught to a programming language such as C# or C++. So all in all we need to be taught to make a 3D mmorpg. The reason I think just me and my friend can make (with possibly some others but is not likely) is because there will be no quests, dungeons, and but will have a complex leveling/combat system and a complex weapon making system. Also will have low-poly graphics. So that being said spare me the criticism saying that 2 people can't make a 3D mmorpg alone and just tell me a way to learn how to make an mmorpg (besides an online college), I would like it to be free or sort of cheap. Thanks.
Advertisement

So that being said spare me the criticism saying that 2 people can't make a 3D mmorpg alone

There's a reason why people say that.

There is no course teaching you how to make a 3D MMORPG.

There isn't a tutorial or guide, and if people try to sell you something, it's a lie and a scam.

You have basically no experience, you don't know any of the tools or programming languages, and you are 2 people.

This will not work. Try something else.

Hello to all my stalkers.

So that being said spare me the criticism saying that 2 people can't make a 3D mmorpg alone and just tell me a way to learn how to make an mmorpg

IF YOU WERE CAPABLE OF MAKING AN MMORPG, YOU WOULD KNOW HOW TO DO IT. YOU ARE NOT READY. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS.

"I'm going to make drugs, so don't tell me how it could go all wrong and end up killing me. Just tell me how to make drugs"

You're going to either need to somehow gain 20 years of experience, or start gaining experience for the next 20 years. At that point, if you and your friend still want to do it, you'll have to spend perhaps 20-30 years making your game up to a stage where the outside world can play it. It won't be finished, but it'll be released. Oh, and did I mention you'll need millions upon millions if you're going to hire some other developers (Which will reduce the time)? Or you'll need several hundred thousand, perhaps a million or so, to pay for servers.

If you're going to make some excuse of how you are your friend are different, spare us it. We've seen cases like this MANY times.

As Lactose said, nobody is going to hold your hand through making an MMORPG. You'll have to struggle and do it on your own. The reason there are no tutorials for how to make MMORPGS is people capable of making them KNOW HOW.

And Unity might not be a good engine. You need to code your own, or find/purchase a license for an existing one (Several tens of thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands.)

What will you make?

Ok well what about http://www.digitaltutors.com/? Their courses seem pretty legit and they teach modeling, unity, and how to use C# in unity. Even if they don't teach C# I can learn it on my own. Also the hardest part to learn is most likely the 3D implementation. Take a look at CubeWorld by Wollay (www.picroma.com). They created a game like that with only 2 people! My game won't even have quests or dungeons or anything like that. It will just have pvp and the most complex thing about it will be the leveling system.

Learn to take advice from people who know what they're talking about. We're trying to help, not crush your dreams.

Yes, two people can make an "MMO" (cubeworld isn't an MMO, and people calling it one hilariously confused what what the "massively" in MMO stands for), but those two people will be industry veterans who've already made several MMOs with big professional teams, not people asking for "how to get started" help on a forum.

Making games is hard. Really hard. As in, harder than rocket science. Making an MMO is twice as hard again as making a single-player game, at least.

If you haven't even figured out a game engine yet, and you haven't even learned "the 3D implementation," go back and _practice making simpler games_ before you try making the biggest and most complicated type of game there is.

Work your way up from cloning simple arcade games to making simple single-player games to making simple multiplayer games to making simple _networked_ multiplayer games to making simple toy MMOs, THEN work on making the actual MMO you want to make. There's no shortcuts to becoming a badass game dev.

An MMO requires a massive (sorry) breadth of knowledge to make. You need all the usual core engine tech, the world creation tools, art tools, plus a very solid networking engine, fantastic network diagnostic tools, a highly scalable server cluster backend, database administration, out-of-game services and Web integration, a client updater, Game Master and Customer Service tools, a firm grasp of how to deploy updates with minimal downtown and risk of losing customer data and progress, a firm understanding of a myriad of "virtual property" laws around the globe, and that doesn't even cover making the actual art, sounds, and unique gameplay, nor the production/management work, PR/advertising work, etc.

START SMALL. Work your way up. If you don't yet know how to make or even use a 3D engine, an MMO is a catastrophically bad type of game for a first project.

If nothing else, you'll end up demoralized. If you start small and work your way up to bigger things, you'll end up with a stream of successes and finished projects, which will result not only in more skill but more drive and energy to make something truly spectacular when you're ready for it.

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

So that being said spare me the criticism saying that 2 people can't make a 3D mmorpg alone and just tell me a way to learn how to make an mmorpg

I can't spare you the criticism. sad.png But I'll hide it in a spoiler block for you! biggrin.png

[spoiler]
Let's say that you and your friend are already C# and Unity Experts. Let's also go ahead and say you're awesome 3d modelers, texture artists, networking programmers, level designers, writers, and sound guys. Let's also go ahead and say you're awesome game developers too. It's going to take your hypothetical skill-set between 50 and 100 years to make an MMO. Here's an article you should read written by someone who worked on an MMO at the time of writing it:
http://www.gamedev.net/blog/355/entry-2250155-why-you-shouldnt-be-making-an-mmo/

When you say, "we're pretty new, how do we make an MMO?" You're asking the wrong question. That first M stands for MASSIVE. Which means supporting thousands of people connected to the same server. The hardware cost alone is obscene. Even if you're asking how to make a Multiplayer Game, that still isn't the right question for an absolute beginner.
[/spoiler]

Now that the criticism is out of the way (you weren't going to listen to it anyway), I can point you in a direction. It sounds like you don't have any programming experience at all, so step 1 is learn how to program. I'll recommend https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/computer-programming which teaches JavaScript. Which language you learn first is less important than learning how to solve problems with programming skills. Learning your second language is MUCH easier.

Once you've learned programming, it's time to start messing with game programming. Unity has great tutorial videos on their site. Start learning Unity, then start making much simpler games. Here's a great article that explains what you should make first and why:
http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/your-first-step-to-game-development-starts-here-r2976

After you knock a few games out on the list, let us know and we'll talk some more.

- Eck

EckTech Games - Games and Unity Assets I'm working on
Still Flying - My GameDev journal
The Shilwulf Dynasty - Campaign notes for my Rogue Trader RPG

http://sol.gfxile.net/mmorpg.html

And you can't use Unity as an engine. You need to code your own, or find/purchase a license for an existing one (Several tens of thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands.)

[citation needed]

Unity may or may not be an ideal choice, but you shouldn't just rule it out as an option -- it's a perfectly valid choice.

- Jason Astle-Adams

jbadams, why isn't this a topic that gets immediately locked?

I wasn't saying cubeworld was an mmo but I was just trying to say that 2 people made a 3D rpg that is fairly multiplayer. But I guess your right though an mmo isnt the way to start. I guess ill start making small games but this leads up to my first question. Where can I learn to make simple games and work my way up?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement