Need to be taught to make a 3D MMORPG

Started by
45 comments, last by Alpha_ProgDes 8 years, 7 months ago

Hey do you guys think that with some training me and my friend could make an ORPG (Online Role Playing Game) with up to 100 people on at once?

How hard are you willing to work/study? There is alot to know if you do things from scratch and there is still alot to know if you start with an engine. I still think since your eventual goal will be an MMORPG or an ORPG you should stick with Unreal4. Learn to do little things in unreal while at the same time programming some small games like pong/breakout from scratch. Once you're comfortable programming go all out in learning Unreal. Another thing you can do is study other peoples source code to accelerate you along the path. Tangletail gave you some links and I'm sure if you're eager you'll dig into them just fine.

So he'll have to switch to C++, even though third party software DOES support C#, it might not always be up to date.

What do you mean switch, I thought he didn't know any languages yet? In addition any high performance server for a MMORPG and maybe ORPG will most probably be in C++ so it will most probably be better for them to go down a C++ path, which is Unreal. Also like I said previously IIRC unreal provides source where as unity does not so if there vision will require resource streaming if its not built-in they can add it. To me it seems the better choice since they are goal oriented, and can still do small from scratch projects in C++ as well. To me it looks like learn C++ and modeling programs is step 1, step 2 is get to know unreal slowly while doing smaller from scratch C++/SFML projects. Step 3 is if you feel comfortable at that point and some people might start working towards your goal in pieces. Maybe pausing to do other projects that concentrate on things that seem to complex when piled in with everything else. Step 4 is go all in on unreal and your goal. Step 3 is when they will realize what they are really getting themselves into, and have to decide if they want to continue with there goal. To them I say good luck.

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

Advertisement

The chances of you creating an MMO are slim to non. Even big AAA software houses have tried and failed in the past.

If you are looking at a Unity "How to create an MMO tutorial" then this is the only one that I can find.
http://www.3dbuzz.com/training/view/mmo-development-class

I don't understand what the obsession is with people wanting to make MMOs in the first place. The majority of MMOs aren't really that fun in the first place. Plus even the successful ones like WOW have seen a decline in numbers / revenue.

It's done with minecraft, which was mostly made by one guy in college. So yes.

Huh?

Notch was not in college, he was an experienced developer who was employed since about 5 years.

His current employer was not interested in his project, so he quit to pursue it, when his sales began to take off

And he didn't finish Minecraft until he formed a company and got some employees.

I guess most people have given their feedback, but just to give you an idea about rpgs, in burgzergs youtube page there are about 300 video tutorialish on making rpg, and this is without the online thing. Basically that is good 50+ hours of tutorials. It is using old unity, but at least concepts should work on new unity. Even tho the lenght of the videos are only 50ish hours, I assume the planning of what he is doing and the time he has spent on errors and figuring out what to do outside the video time took far more than 50 hours.

Also remember that if everything looks easy by watching the video, it is A LOT harder if you actually have to make the code by yourself, which will be the case in making your own online rpg. I wouldn't honestly be surprised that for someone who doesn't know programming to begin with it could easily take 1 year if you spent 8 hours a day to get to the point where these videos stops at.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE5C2870574BF4B06

So all in all we need to be taught to make a 3D mmorpg.

I think I speak for most people here when I say "When you find out, share your secrete with me".

I do not tend to answer threads like this but the title caught my eye, asking such a question clearly shows your inexperience and you are not cut out for the task, even if the resources were available.

Please have a look at http://www.gameinstitute.com/ it's a good place to start learning C++ and DirectX or C# and Unity.

- Kirk

So all in all we need to be taught to make a 3D mmorpg.

I think I speak for most people here when I say "When you find out, share your secrete with me".

I do not tend to answer threads like this but the title caught my eye, asking such a question clearly shows your inexperience and you are not cut out for the task, even if the resources were available.

Please have a look at http://www.gameinstitute.com/ it's a good place to start learning C++ and DirectX or C# and Unity.

- Kirk

The chances of you creating an MMO are slim to non. Even big AAA software houses have tried and failed in the past.

If you are looking at a Unity "How to create an MMO tutorial" then this is the only one that I can find.
http://www.3dbuzz.com/training/view/mmo-development-class

I don't understand what the obsession is with people wanting to make MMOs in the first place. The majority of MMOs aren't really that fun in the first place. Plus even the successful ones like WOW have seen a decline in numbers / revenue.

That was what I was going to do before I came here. Please don't JUST read the first post and reply without reading all the others. If you had read you would had seen that I was going to work my way up from smaller games and then me and my friend with attempt an ORPG (Online Role Playing Game) with about 100-200 players on at first which I could easily do with a server host online.

I really should be writing this in my developer journal. But...

Creating an MMORPG is much like reading Hebrew Text. You do it from right to left. MMORPG == Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game. Let's start at the far right, shall we?

G is for game. How many have you made? How many have you finished? What types have you made? If the answers to those questions are synonyms to: None, Zero, Zilch, or Nada. Then your first and only step should be here. I wrote an article on suggested games to make. Assuming that you've heeded those suggestions. then that naturally leads us to the next question?

What RPGs have you made? Do you know what goes into RPGs? Are you familiar with: Scripted Events, Statistics, Databases, Files, Levelling Mechanics? Once you've figured all of that out, let's look at the next step.

O is for online. What do you know about: TCP/IP, UDP, Packets, Client-Server programming, Latency, and Lag? What networking libraries have you worked with? Will it be LAN or truly online, In the cloud?

M? Multiplayer for $200, Alex? You do know that whether it's LAN or Cloud play, you'll have to worry about maximizing security, synchronization, and coordination. As well as minimizing latency and lag. But at this point, you should be able to attempt to make a MUD.

M? What is Massively? Correct for $200! Remember that everything that you've done will be on a much larger scale. There will be load balancing, sign-ups, server costs, even more concern about security, synchronization, coordination, latency, and lag. By then, you'll need more than 2 people. With real experience. And honestly, it won't be massive. It'll just be bigger than small.

So there you have it. No classes needed. No step-by-step tutorial from beginning to end. Just treat the development process like Hebrew and in 5 to 10 years we should be enjoying your prototype.

Thanks for reading. Cheers!

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement