Why did COD: AW move every file into the same folder where .exe is?

Started by
12 comments, last by JohnnyCode 8 years, 6 months ago

This is Steam, do they even have an ability to control that?

Besides, why do you care? It works and that's enough.

Steam is nothing special as a developer you have the control over where files are located in your own directory structure.

It looks like COD went with an archive format for their files now which allows for better compression on the archived files. This will in turn have a faster load from the disc with perhaps a trade of in the decompression step of those files in the archive. The massive FF files seem to be the archive files. And it seems like they made a single archive per location which means you dont have to jump through the directory structure to load the files for a level. This is offcourse all speculation on my part smile.png

Makes complete sense for a runtime scenario. I would agree with this explanation. Assuming they also have a different structure for their development side. They probably didn't put very much thought into a user friendly file structure simply cause they didn't have to and just focused on performance.

Advertisement

I can imagine it's just how they have the build process set up. As they are developing it the structure is set up in a way that makes it easy to develop and it goes through a shipping build process and they probably just didn't take the time to write the scripts organize everything when it's built.

Just thought of another possible cause.

On later versions of visual studio, in the solution explorer you have "filters" instead of directories.

In earlier versions you would create a new folder, then add items to it nad it would end up in a new folder on the hard drive.

In the newer versions, filters are not directories. I have had a lot of cases where I have added a bunch of stuff in what I thought was a directory only to realise it's only a filter and all the files are actually in the applications root directory.

This might have to do something with development version data files, when a programmer does a change to some dll and exe, plus some data files, and testers, or someone else needing current version, did not want to recopy redundant files, what is what they might have to do if they were asked by windows to replace a folder, and the operation of "replace file" is already marked and commited for always "perform". But for that one would rather make a smarter application, so I am still surprised with this.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement