How to give away copies of my priced game on iOS?

Started by
3 comments, last by Got_Rhythm 8 years, 7 months ago

Good afternoon, so my question is about releasing my game on Android and iOS.

I am going to have a Kickstarter for my game, and wanted to have a reward tier where backers can get a free copy of the game (the price of purchasing the game has not been finalized, but for example lets say its $4)

However, after some research it appears Apple will not allow developers to have a system for giving away some copies of a priced game for free (or if they do, its only around 50 copies for reviews and testing).

My second idea therefore is to have system where only KS backers can get the game early at a discounted price ($1) and then I increase the price after 2 weeks to $4 for general release. Is this possible?

My third idea is to have a special menu screen in game for KS backers where they can enter a promo code I give them to get refunded the price of the game (or partial price of the game). Is this possible?

Or are there other methods? Thank you for your time!
Advertisement
One final idea is to have a demo of the game downloadable for free, and after some point players have to pay for the full version of the game to continue, unless you are a backer and then you can enter a code I send you instead...
So far I think that's the best option.

Apple won't like any system where you bypass their cut of sales. Most of your ideas do cut Apple out of the loop, so while they're feasible and you might get away with it, you'd be putting yourself at some risk.

Gifting the games through iTunes is the most legitimate way of doing it, I think. But I believe there is a problem in that you can't gift the title to someone in a different territory. You might find you can hit about 80% of your backers if you have access to a UK and US iTunes account, then maybe do the rest with promo codes?

I backed one that sent out iTunes gift cards, and another that had a flash-sale where they dramatically dropped the price for one day and told all the KS backers to purchase it on that day... sad.png

I was hoping that a system of personally refunding backers would be acceptable, that way Apple still gets their cut and I make a very small loss.

Or partial refund so I break even.

I will look into gifting through iTunes though, that looks promising.

Thank you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement