Game opening

Started by
18 comments, last by Bumblefish2 8 years, 3 months ago

I would recommend carefully planning out and testing any stat based system before spending lots of time developing it. Once you have a prototype, even on paper will do, get feedback from potential players. This way you're making sure it's right before spendingtoo much time on it...

Advertisement

I would recommend carefully planning out and testing any stat based system before spending lots of time developing it. Once you have a prototype, even on paper will do, get feedback from potential players. This way you're making sure it's right before spendingtoo much time on it...

It will likely just be stats you can raise from training in the gym or university classes and stuff like that and skills like fishing and cooking etc

Based on your description, this prologue seems somewhat long. If it introduces elements relevant to the story--if the club is an important location, or the fact that the parents were club-goers is relevant, or something similar--then this may well be justified. If not, perhaps it might be better to look for a shorter scene in which the player chooses their family.

I've seen something similar done elsewhere, as it happens: the first interactive scene of Always Sometimes Monsters plays out this way, as I recall. However, it's also a fairly short scene, and introduces other characters than just the two characters that one chooses.

You should find a playthrough by Cry here, with the scene in question starting just after the linked point in the video. It might be worth noting the player's reactions to the scene: by the looks of it, I'd guess that he at first wasn't aware that he was choosing someone, and so simply approached the nearest character, likely expecting to move on to the others in the room thereafter.

Overall, I think that I like the idea of this type of selection mechanic, but I do think that it may call for some care in its implementation.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

Based on your description, this prologue seems somewhat long. If it introduces elements relevant to the story--if the club is an important location, or the fact that the parents were club-goers is relevant, or something similar--then this may well be justified. If not, perhaps it might be better to look for a shorter scene in which the player chooses their family.

I've seen something similar done elsewhere, as it happens: the first interactive scene of Always Sometimes Monsters plays out this way, as I recall. However, it's also a fairly short scene, and introduces other characters than just the two characters that one chooses.

You should find a playthrough by Cry

">here, with the scene in question starting just after the linked point in the video. It might be worth noting the player's reactions to the scene: by the looks of it, I'd guess that he at first wasn't aware that he was choosing someone, and so simply approached the nearest character, likely expecting to move on to the others in the room thereafter.

Overall, I think that I like the idea of this type of selection mechanic, but I do think that it may call for some care in its implementation. I have always sometimes monsters it's made with the same engine as I'm using so It's a good source of inspiration, it's probably why my opening is similar lol. I don't know I thought my opening seemed short enough I'm not sure how to make it any shorter

I don't know I thought my opening seemed short enough I'm not sure how to make it any shorter

How relevant are the club or the bouncer, or the fact that this is how the parents in question met? Could you perhaps use some other, shorter event in which to introduce the characters?

I have always sometimes monsters it's made with the same engine as I'm using so It's a good source of inspiration, it's probably why my opening is similar lol.

I feel that such a character selection scene works in Always Sometimes Monsters at least in part because it fits with that game's themes--is something similar true for yours?

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

I don't know I thought my opening seemed short enough I'm not sure how to make it any shorter

How relevant are the club or the bouncer, or the fact that this is how the parents in question met? Could you perhaps use some other, shorter event in which to introduce the characters?

I have always sometimes monsters it's made with the same engine as I'm using so It's a good source of inspiration, it's probably why my opening is similar lol.

I feel that such a character selection scene works in Always Sometimes Monsters at least in part because it fits with that game's themes--is something similar true for yours?
Yes it fits, and the bouncer later becomes your godfather and is there to give you advice

The character customisation is a big part of the game, cosmetic and probably stat wise although I'm not sure how I'm handling stats because there's no forced combat it's optional so you only really need to focus on stats if you're choosing to do the fighting. I might add a skill based system, though. Just not sure what skills you'd have in that kind of setting.

I understand that cosmetics can play a big part in some games, but you need to understand not all players care about it. If a system is purely cosmetic make sure it is not too time consuming and skippable (like a character editor... can be pretty anoying when there is no "autogenerate" button... not everyone wants to tweak the angle of the jawbone in fractions of inches).

If you do not know what the point of skills should be in your game, better leave it out. No point in developing a system that doesn't add to your design. That time certainly is better spent elsewhere. Same, to a lesser degree, with the non forced combat. If combat is not an important part of your game, are you sure your game needs it?

Yes it fits, and the bouncer later becomes your godfather and is there to give you advice

Well, that is important additional information that you should have given from the start. I was under the impression the bouncer was a "throwaway NPC"... in this case, at least the bouncer certainly has his place in the opening.

What about the parents? What is their role in the later game apart from "genetics"? Will they feature? Do you plan to do story elements where the choice of parents will become important apart from the opening setting? (which may or may not be not so important in the long run... how many people do remember how a RPG started? Most probably you only remember the ones that started "with a bang". 20+ hours of (hopefully good) gameplay and story will have buried your memories of the other, mostly generic and boring starting story settings).

The character customisation is a big part of the game, cosmetic and probably stat wise although I'm not sure how I'm handling stats because there's no forced combat it's optional so you only really need to focus on stats if you're choosing to do the fighting. I might add a skill based system, though. Just not sure what skills you'd have in that kind of setting.

I understand that cosmetics can play a big part in some games, but you need to understand not all players care about it. If a system is purely cosmetic make sure it is not too time consuming and skippable (like a character editor... can be pretty anoying when there is no "autogenerate" button... not everyone wants to tweak the angle of the jawbone in fractions of inches).

If you do not know what the point of skills should be in your game, better leave it out. No point in developing a system that doesn't add to your design. That time certainly is better spent elsewhere. Same, to a lesser degree, with the non forced combat. If combat is not an important part of your game, are you sure your game needs it?

Well, that is important additional information that you should have given from the start. I was under the impression the bouncer was a "throwaway NPC"... in this case, at least the bouncer certainly has his place in the opening.
What about the parents? What is their role in the later game apart from "genetics"? Will they feature? Do you plan to do story elements where the choice of parents will become important apart from the opening setting? (which may or may not be not so important in the long run... how many people do remember how a RPG started? Most probably you only remember the ones that started "with a bang". 20+ hours of (hopefully good) gameplay and story will have buried your memories of the other, mostly generic and boring starting story settings).
It's mentioned that he's your godfather, your parents also will play a part in the game. The cosmetics, because the games only 2d you won't be tweaking cheek bones etc, your character is basically auto generated based on your parents and you can then later in the game go and get haircuts, buy outfits etc. The combat is there because some paths you can choose might involve it, there's also a chance of people trying to mug you in some areas which you'll then need to either pay them or fight them off.

once you done it please post the test version here, i would like to try it and give you some feedback

once you done it please post the test version here, i would like to try it and give you some feedback

I probably will I've been thinking about doing a freeplay version

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement