entity system questions

Started by
3 comments, last by dendrite 8 years, 4 months ago
I'm trying to implement a simple turn-based space combat game, my first attempt at game programming. After some research, i thought that an entity system may be a good way of implementing this (primarily inspired by http://t-machine.org/index.php/category/entity-systems/ But i couldn't figure out how to implement some things using this architecture. For example, I understand how a movement system gets entities with velocity and position components, and updates the position each frame. But how would i let entities with a sensor component perform a sensor scan? If components only contain data and an entity is just a unique id, then its behaviour would go into a system. I could either create a separate system for it, or duplicate this functionality only in the systems that require it. If i make a separate system, My understanding is a scan would be performed on all entities with sensors, but not every entity may require information about what's around them every tick, then there's also the requirement of giving this info to other systems like AI. The second would result in some code duplication. Am I applying the entity system wrongly in this case? I'm having similar problems with figuring out how to implement special game events such as entering a specific sector playing a cut scene, or having gates bringing players to a completely new sector; should these 2 things be represented as an entity?
Advertisement

If i make a separate system, My understanding is a scan would be performed on all entities with sensors, but not every entity may require information about what's around them every tick

The sensor component could contain the frequency at which the sensor update should be processed for that entity.

then there's also the requirement of giving this info to other systems like AI.

Your sensor scan system could look at the sensor data for each component, "process it", and place any results back in the sensor component (e.g. the other entities that it sees).

Or, other systems could have a reference to the sensor scan system in order to perform queries on it. But, if you're caching the results of that data, it's got to go somewhere. It could be contained in the sensor scan system, or... may as well just put it in the sensor component.

All an entity system does at its core is run code (systems) that transform data (components). So it's useful to think of it that way.

I'm having similar problems with figuring out how to implement special game events such as entering a specific sector playing a cut scene, or having gates bringing players to a completely new sector; should these 2 things be represented as an entity?
It depends. I generally prefer components/systems for common logic that needs to process large batches of components. For one off things like specific game events, you should have the ability to attach arbitrary scripts to an entity that can query and manipulate the game world.

I'm having similar problems with figuring out how to implement special game events such as entering a specific sector playing a cut scene, or having gates bringing players to a completely new sector; should these 2 things be represented as an entity?

If your sector has a collider component, when new entities collide with it (aka enters the sector), the collision system informs other systems of said event. Your CutSceneSystem may be interested in collisions between Sectors and Entities and if such a collision event is raised, it gets the current sector id/name, locates the cutscene files and begins their playback for the user experience. In this case, its a combination of the Physics System and a Game System interacting by way of events/messages/callbacks.

As for gates taking players to new sectors, this again is basically a collider component in the ECS that raises a collision event that causes your SectorTeleportSystem to fire. It begins by playing a wormhole warp cutscene sequence while the new sector is loaded from disk. After loading is complete the cutscene sequence ends and you find yourself in the new sector.

As phil_t said, some systems can respond to game world events/triggers but are not necessarily manipulating entities. The events/triggers they do react to however can very much be something that the entity component system triggered based on some component system that manages a particular game aspect.

… then there's also the requirement of giving this info to other systems like AI. ...

Notice please that systems need not to be active. Sensors are a good example for a passive system. Reasons are (a) that the AI state determines whether and which sensor data is needed in the current run, and (b) that computing sensor data is often a relatively costly process. So instead of letting the sensor system run on its own, implement it as interface where other systems can send queries to.

Example: Attaching a VisualSensor component to an entity defines that the entity is able "to look". The component's data specify the view volume (e.g. a cone with diameter at its base, its heigh, and a direction). Another component, say the VisualStimulus component, specifies the volume and visibility (in the meaning of cloaking and such) of an entity if attached. These data are managed by a VisualSense system. The interface of the system allows to query for all entities belonging to a VisualStimulus that intersects the VisualSensor volume of a given entity.

Thanks all for the informative responses; that did clear up my questions :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement