Two or more monitors

Started by
47 comments, last by SymLinked 8 years, 2 months ago

I'm flirting with the idea of going to dual 4k or 5k screens at home some time this year though, because I think that might be a better setup for working with UE4 or Unity than what I've got now. I would think that 3 or more widescreen displays laid out horizontally would be too much head-swivel to be comfortable or useful, unless maybe they were in portrait orientation.

I have a single 40" 4K display at the moment (one of the S. Korean eBay specials), and I'd agree. No way to get a 2nd one (god forbid a 3rd) in horizontal.

I am flirting the idea with getting a wider aspect-ratio display with matching horizontal resolution. Say, 3840x1440, and mounting it directly *above* the current display, angled downwards. I think that's a better use of space, and looking up is arguably better ergonomically than swiveling...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Advertisement
I have two monitors at home and find it extremely useful (and awkward when I have to use only one when I work elsewhere). There are times when three would be useful.

I honestly just have a decent sized monitor and view other things such as api's and tutorials on my 11" macbook air. Anyone know where i can buy a monocle? Cuz squinting with one eye on that screen is murder .

//Dre Reid\\

I honestly just have a decent sized monitor and view other things such as api's and tutorials on my 11" macbook air. Anyone know where i can buy a monocle? Cuz squinting with one eye on that screen is murder .

There's a logical resolution setting in the Display section of OSX's settings.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

I Use 3 monitors, its nice for Open Office plans since I can block off alot of distractions with the screens.

I Use 2 for "active" stuff, and the third keeps email/debug tools open which I only need to check on occasion.

It's hard to cope with one monitor at home (24 inch relatively old lcd) when at work I have three 24“ monitors arranged horizontally.

I don't physically have the room for more monitors at home though without getting a bigger desk and moving the bed around. I cant imagine my wife would be too happy with me taking over the bedroom for the sake of another monitor, after all I only have the pc in there because it's the quietest room in the house during the day furthest from the kids and any guests when I'm working from home :)

It's hard to cope with one monitor at home (24 inch relatively old lcd) when at work I have three 24“ monitors arranged horizontally.

I don't physically have the room for more monitors at home though without getting a bigger desk and moving the bed around. I cant imagine my wife would be too happy with me taking over the bedroom for the sake of another monitor, after all I only have the pc in there because it's the quietest room in the house during the day furthest from the kids and any guests when I'm working from home smile.png

Wall mounts? I've seen one setup that used nice sliding mounts that held monitor arms for the flanking displays. When not in use the two wing monitors got rotated to portrait, and tucked mostly behind the central. Made for a very neat, tidy, and compact setup.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

There's a logical resolution setting in the Display section of OSX's settings.

Oh boy thanx. I just use the darn thing to compile ios apps and play retro games and type angry rants

//Dre Reid\\

I agree, the UE4 editor feels very cramped with only one monitor. I keep the main window on the center monitor, blueprint/editor on left and content browser on the right. I couldn't imagine working without three monitors.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement