How to prepare for game programming from 10th grade?

Started by
13 comments, last by LAURENT* 8 years, 3 months ago

Just to add in my 2 cents about programming language (although the one you choose really doesn't make too big a difference); I was taught Java in class, but I didn't find it all that helpful. I learned C++ later on, and while it was kinda hard to learn, it makes learning any others A LOT easier.

I'd say, if you're playing the long game with programming, consider starting with C++. If you want to hop straight into games (Unity), go C#. Happy programming :D

Check out my dev blog here :) https://jaythedanielsdev.wordpress.com/

Advertisement

Plenty of good advice in this thread about how to get started on game programming.

However, I didn't see mentioned. If you are serious about being a game programmer as anything more than a hobbyist, you should strongly consider a Computer Science degree from the best 4 year college you can get into.

1) You'll learn a lot of stuff about how computers work, theoretical and practical, that you probably don't even realize you don't know. You can learn this stuff elsewhere, of course, but...

2) Most game programming jobs list a BS in Computer Science as a requirement, or at least a strong recommendation. Years of experience or good contacts can get you around this requirement, but do you want to count on that?

3) Game programming has a lot more in common with programming (any kind), than with playing games. So, you should be training yourself to be a programmer, more than a games expert.

4) That Computer Science degree will also come in handy if, at some point in the far future, the negatives of game programming outweigh the positives for you. Stability, higher pay, and shorter hours probably don't seem that important to you right now, but someday they might.

So, in 10th grade, you should be devoting your school time energy to math, science (especially Physics), and computer programming as much as you can. As a bonus, that stuff will be directly applicable to your game programming right now.

Good luck,

Geoff

Plenty of good advice in this thread about how to get started on game programming.

Agreed...there is a lot of good stuff here.

One thing I would add is more of a habit to build: finish what you start. If you start a simple program (game or not), finish it. Finishing a project will become one of the hardest tasks on most of the projects you'll work on. Remember, the sense of accomplishment in completing a project is one of the ultimate highs in this, and most, industries, and an incomplete project is a failed project in most cases.

Go get 'em!

...you'll be responsible for your own learning...

I would revise this slightly to "you'll be responsible for the thoroughness of your own learning". From my personal experience (I was largely self-taught), I found that I learned the most while I was mentored by a very good developer. I think you can learn the ins and outs of programming on your own, but it's very difficult to understand best practices without the someone reviewing what you've done.

That said, the traditional school part of my learning was great for covering the very basics, but did not do much to improve the breadth and depth of my overall knowledge (maybe this is what Hodgman meant?).

"Just do it!"

Try to make a game and you will prepare yourself for making games. I suggest starting with learning C# programming.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement