Can i make a 3d form in blender for my manga art drawn in paper ? and how ?

Started by
3 comments, last by otaku1998 8 years, 2 months ago

and can i make also an animation for my drawing ?

Advertisement

Just so I understand your intention from your short OP....

What you currently have: a 2D Drawing on paper? Correct?

What do you want to achieve? A digital, animated 3D Version?

You would use Blender to model a 3D polygon model from your offline art (maybe after you scanned it to put it into Blender as reference art to help you modelling). You can then use blender to rig your 3D Model (rigging means preparing your model for animation... placing bones, painting skin weights, adding helpers), and to create animations (there are different ways for this, the most basic is using the bones you placed before to deform your 3D Models and use this as keyframes for your animation).

How you do 3D Modeling in Blender is a vast topic best explained by the many tutorials on the blender.org homepage. Same with Rigging and animation.

Just be warned, it will take you some time to learn everything that is involved. 3D modelling is very technical and has little to do with drawing. Some parts of blender (the sculpting tools) might be comparable to classical sculpting, but even then, its quite different. Make sure you take your time and go one topic at a time.

Gian-Reto's has a good point, this isn't a small topic with simple answers. However I will be able to give you some advice for modeling anime/ manga characters.

First you need working knowledge of the human anatomy. I recommend finding a good book on the subject, one with photos not drawn images.

You will notice by studding manga and anime that the closeup shots reveal a lot of anatomy details while far away shots have almost none. This is done by the artist drawing in details when they are needed.

In 3D modeling details can't be added in just when ever you want, it needs to be added during the modeling stage. For this reason a lot of anime 3D models opt to use very simple anatomy and just keeps the camera far from the characters. There is noting wrong with this style and I will recommend it for your first models.

The face of the anime/ manga style models are the key to a good model. You will need to lookup the "superflat" and "minimalist" art styles to have a better understanding of how the faces work.

A quick explanation is that by only showing small expressive details they allow the viewer to fabricate the rest of the facial details.

For modeling I recommend you start with some thing like this:

It has a lot of topology flaws but is a good starting point.

Next move on to this:

This is also good free tutorial:

, this is fine when starting out with 3D.

The style of modeling the artist uses is very 2D, as he works on one side at a time, almost like drawing. When you get more advanced with 3D modeling you will abandon this for a 3D style, where you work on all the dimensions at the same time.

For references don't use anime or manga do model on, instead use them as scale and style references. The problem with anime and manga is that the side view and front view don't match up, they look similar till you star using them to model. Instead use photos of real people or images made for 3D modeling.

If you want some 3D examples of anime/ manga style models, you should check .mmd models. There is a lot of good ones for download and importers for Blender.

Even making simple models like this can take years to learn, if you don't have that time hire a artist instead.

If time doesn't matter then have fun, 3D modeling is a rewarding skill.

Just so I understand your intention from your short OP....

What you currently have: a 2D Drawing on paper? Correct?

What do you want to achieve? A digital, animated 3D Version?

You would use Blender to model a 3D polygon model from your offline art (maybe after you scanned it to put it into Blender as reference art to help you modelling). You can then use blender to rig your 3D Model (rigging means preparing your model for animation... placing bones, painting skin weights, adding helpers), and to create animations (there are different ways for this, the most basic is using the bones you placed before to deform your 3D Models and use this as keyframes for your animation).

How you do 3D Modeling in Blender is a vast topic best explained by the many tutorials on the blender.org homepage. Same with Rigging and animation.

Just be warned, it will take you some time to learn everything that is involved. 3D modelling is very technical and has little to do with drawing. Some parts of blender (the sculpting tools) might be comparable to classical sculpting, but even then, its quite different. Make sure you take your time and go one topic at a time.

Thank you bro for your execellent answer

Gian-Reto's has a good point, this isn't a small topic with simple answers. However I will be able to give you some advice for modeling anime/ manga characters.

First you need working knowledge of the human anatomy. I recommend finding a good book on the subject, one with photos not drawn images.
You will notice by studding manga and anime that the closeup shots reveal a lot of anatomy details while far away shots have almost none. This is done by the artist drawing in details when they are needed.
In 3D modeling details can't be added in just when ever you want, it needs to be added during the modeling stage. For this reason a lot of anime 3D models opt to use very simple anatomy and just keeps the camera far from the characters. There is noting wrong with this style and I will recommend it for your first models.

The face of the anime/ manga style models are the key to a good model. You will need to lookup the "superflat" and "minimalist" art styles to have a better understanding of how the faces work.
A quick explanation is that by only showing small expressive details they allow the viewer to fabricate the rest of the facial details.

For modeling I recommend you start with some thing like this:

It has a lot of topology flaws but is a good starting point.
Next move on to this:

This is also good free tutorial:
, this is fine when starting out with 3D.
The style of modeling the artist uses is very 2D, as he works on one side at a time, almost like drawing. When you get more advanced with 3D modeling you will abandon this for a 3D style, where you work on all the dimensions at the same time.

For references don't use anime or manga do model on, instead use them as scale and style references. The problem with anime and manga is that the side view and front view don't match up, they look similar till you star using them to model. Instead use photos of real people or images made for 3D modeling.

If you want some 3D examples of anime/ manga style models, you should check .mmd models. There is a lot of good ones for download and importers for Blender.

Even making simple models like this can take years to learn, if you don't have that time hire a artist instead.
If time doesn't matter then have fun, 3D modeling is a rewarding skill.

Thank you for your great answer ^ ^

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement