Should I give up?

Started by
25 comments, last by menyo 8 years ago

What I wanna know is if you're really that motivated for this, if you're even asking this question to begin with?
What if I told you that you're asking the wrong question? What if the real question you should ask is "I have this problem when coding this thing. How do I fix it?"

All walks of life are a pain to start on. And nobody is ever fully taught. So stop asking these silly questions, you're doing fine if you love what you do. Even if you're not Einstein. And let me tell you, half of the people in these forums are definitely not Einstein, myself least of all. Heck even Einstein wasn't Einstein, most of the time. :)

Advertisement

Also, this always motivates me its own weird way

My current game project Platform RPG

It really comes down to what your heart is saying. Your heart always tells the truth. And remember, it's your heart, so you should heed its words. In the real world you only get one life to do that, and you can't save your progress or start over and try different endings. So let your heart speak louder until it stifles the outside noise.

Let it point its figurative finger in the most desired direction.

Look in that direction, see what's on the horizon. It's never the edge of a cliff, and it's usually a long and irregular, yet beautiful path.

Simply start walking. Don't look back.

I created a pointer of type Toilet so I don't have to go to the bathroom as often.

What discouragements are we talking about?

• People saying you suck
    These people suck them selfs, you should find a different audience. If you are putting a lot of effort into something you like then this deserves an applause even if it does not turn out as expected. I would not want any person in my environment that would discourage me about programming.
  • Problems during coding
    If you are discouraged by code and do not like to solve these problems then you should quit now. This will be all you are doing and is the essence of coding. Personally I love to sit all day and tinker on how I can make something faster or more readable.

Of course, if you just graduate and want to program you need a income to pay for your stuff. You are grown up now and need to find a job to support yourself. In your spare time you can code, if you are really dedicated like me you would code whenever possible. You also need to get another memo, when your game is finished you there is a minimum chance you get anything more out of it then beer money. If you know all the ins and outs of programming, audio, graphics and finally have a good finished game it's time to learn about marketing (actually at least some months prior to release). And even with a great team that are specialized in these things there is no certainty in getting anything out of it.

Let's say 4 people work very hard on a game and finish it in one year. The game is well received and after 3 months it finally gets greenlit by the steam community. You and your team need to work another couple of months to get ready for steam release. Eventually you price it $10 and it gets sold 5000 times in the first year which is reasonable for a average game of $10. Steam takes a $15K share and you are left with 35K (before the tax cut) so after 2,5 years since the development started you have to share about $28.000 between 4 people. This is the reality for most developers. Of course, it could go viral but on the other hand you could end up selling just a couple of hundred copies.

If that final part discourages you then you also need to stop right now and never return to coding. Code because you like to code, like to solve problems, like to create games, etc. If you write proper code you will get a job into the industry sooner or later and perhaps even make a living from your own development endeavors.

And remember, it's your heart, so you should heed its words. In the real world you only get one life to do that, and you can't save your progress or start over and try different endings.

I love life since I love playing Ironman mode :D

If you are discouraged by code and do not like to solve these problems then you should quit now. This will be all you are doing and is the essence of coding. Personally I love to sit all day and tinker on how I can make something faster or more readable.

Indeed. As some programmer (on youtube) once said: "A programmer is, in essence, a problem solver".

Although, if that's the problem, quitting might still not be the choice he should make, yet.

He might want to tackle game making software first.

I created a pointer of type Toilet so I don't have to go to the bathroom as often.

Although, if that's the problem, quitting might still not be the choice he should make, yet.

He might want to tackle game making software first.

If you want to make anything slightly interesting you need to code. yes perhaps he can try UE4 and fiddle around with the blueprint system, but in essence this is still coding. I have no experience with RPG maker but these games all look alike. And Game maker requires at the very least GM scripting afaik to make something interesting.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement