Currently perusing a Computer Science degree, but I think I may be on the wrong path.

Started by
7 comments, last by 0r0d 8 years ago

January 2015 I started perusing a a Computer Science BS I really enjoyed it and in my part time I started learning Unity. Fast forward to now I am still doing alright in college, but I find that I am very bored/uninterested in my programming courses. I only really care about programming games but not so much anything else. I feel as though the Computer Science BS is not for me and I'm not sure where to turn. Just wanted to put this out there and get some thoughts.

Advertisement

Game development is a subset of all programming.

Do you mean that you find yourself more advanced than your peers and that the schooling doesn't seem right for you, or do you mean that computer science as a field is not interesting to you?

For the first one, a CS degree, like a degree in any field, directs you to study things you are not interested in so that you get broad understanding.

Remember that the degree is not meant as job training. The degree is meant to give you an understanding of the field. Assuming you apply yourself, upon completing the program you should be able to have reasonable conversations with anyone involved in programming regardless of their field and have at least a passable understanding of what they are talking about.

With the degree you should be able to learn any other programming-related item on your own from books or technical papers.

Also, while you may be the top of your class, you may be far beyond most of the peers at the computer science department, when you graduate your skills will be considered at the entry level, or possibly slightly above entry level. People in the industry with just a few years of experience will be able to surpass your abilities in most things, and senior developers will likely be able to outperform you ten to one or more. You may be the best of the students, but you are still a student.

Keep at it. Finish the degree if you are able. Having the degree helps careers, in much of the world they are a standard barrier to entry for HR. required for you to get to the interview.

If the second one, you are discovering that while you like the thought of making games you discover you don't like the act of making software, consider it carefully. A job as a game programmer is first and foremost a job doing programming. If you do not like the thought of doing programming every day for your career that will span decades, it might be good to evaluate other things you enjoy doing.

In that case, I'd recommend getting a copy of "What Color Is Your Parachute?" and working through the flower diagram exercise. The book has been a best-seller for decades and your library probably has many copies, pick up any recent edition. Done well, the exercise helps you evaluate what skills and talents you enjoy, helps you identify your passions, your preferred work areas, your preferred work environments, your preferred life goals.

Game development has a 'movie star syndrome' about it, people who enjoy the finished product think they would enjoy the process. You may be able to develop the skills, but it may or may not be what you enjoy doing. Just because you enjoy playing games does not necessarily mean you will enjoy making games. Enjoying games is different from making games, just as making delicious food and eating delicious food are different, enjoying movies is different from the craft of acting in movies, enjoying driving a vehicle is different from the mechanic who loves working with engines, enjoying fine clothing is different from sewing fine clothing, and so on. Consuming and crafting are different, you may not have considered this fully.

Working through the flower diagram in "What Color Is Your Parachute?", you may discover that game programmer is not your passion at all. I've known people who invested years of their life to get in to making games because they thought it would be fun. Along the way they ignored their bigger passions. One, who had held a job at a gardening nursery back in high school, said that he found deepest joy in growing plants and left the game industry to work with plants. Another person had a guitar at his desk and during many lunch breaks and other times he would play beautiful songs, he realized his passion was elsewhere and left to become a full-time music teacher.

If programming is not your passion, figure out what is your passion and follow it wherever it goes. Doing a job you are not passionate about is difficult, far better to follow your passions to discover your personal bliss.

Trust me on this one, all the CS courses you take actually get you somewhere. You really can't do much without the concepts you learn in computer science. And the CS degree gives you a better understanding about how everything works, which will eventually become critical to you keeping your job.

Just finish it, if you get any choices then choose the things that interest you, if you ever get the opportunity to 'gamify' something then do so projects/dissertations/thesis are good places for this. It wasn't until years after my degrees that I really saw the relevance of some of the things I learned and a lot of the things are still irrelevant. That's just the nature of it.

I'm in the 'stick with it' camp.

Interested in Fractals? Check out my App, Fractal Scout, free on the Google Play store.

I'm not sure how much game development you have done, but I know for me there are times when I get bored working on my current project. Being able to stick with development even when it isn't fun is key to be successful in game development or programming in general. If you enjoy programming but are just in some classes you don't enjoy then stick with it everybody has to push through less interesting times. However, if you find no enjoyment at all in programming. If the problem solving isn't appealing or you find no satisfaction in writing beautiful code, then you may want to consider other fields. Just be warned, you won't find any degree or job where you will always be having fun, even when making games. You will have to work on a project, or parts of a project that aren't exciting.
My current game project Platform RPG

I find that I am very bored/uninterested in my programming courses. I only really care about programming games but not so much anything else. I feel as though the Computer Science BS is not for me and I'm not sure where to turn. Just wanted to put this out there and get some thoughts.

That's just how programming is; mostly boring with very few naturally interesting parts. It's a kind of masochism; you have to embrace the boring stuff in order to MAKE it interesting.

January 2015 I started perusing a a Computer Science BS I really enjoyed it and in my part time I started learning Unity. Fast forward to now I am still doing alright in college, but I find that I am very bored/uninterested in my programming courses. I only really care about programming games but not so much anything else. I feel as though the Computer Science BS is not for me and I'm not sure where to turn. Just wanted to put this out there and get some thoughts.

You may be in the same boat as me. Except I finished my degree. I sort of stayed in denial of the boredom, but it caught back up to me during my job. If you're constantly bored while programming, then don't expect the job to be any different. If anything, it's the same except more stressful and more complex.

Like you, I only enjoy programming games, specifically my own games. Programming was best for me as a hobby, but I realized that late. I was distracted by the fact that programming is one of the best job fields in the market. But that doesn't automatically mean it's best for you or that you will enjoy it.

I urge you to see a career counselor at your school to try and find what you're interested in. Maybe you'll be able to stick it out with programming, maybe not. But definitely see a career counselor.

Mend and Defend

If you're programming because you just really want your game idea to become a reality, development will happen naturally and it'll feel more like playing than working.

If you're programming just to make money (or fulfill some dumb class assignment), it'll feel tedious, agonizingly frustrating, even painful and soul-sucking.

However, that's just the reality of life. You're probably going to have to do at least some of the latter before you get to do the former. Just do your best to separate them in your mind and don't let the latter ruin the former.

Another possibility you might consider is changing your major, maybe even major in something else and get a minor in CS if that's allowed by your school.

While having a CS degree is good if you eventually want to work as an engineer in games, it's not essential. In fact many successful games industry software engineers come from other fields such as math or the sciences. If you are willing to learn programming (and other game dev-related topics) in your spare time, then having a degree with a solid math and problem solving background is a viable option.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement