Are there any services for reducing network delay/latency?

Started by
20 comments, last by hplus0603 7 years, 11 months ago

sorry for the delayed response guys.

It may not always be the case, but I think it is fair to assume that a company which operates datacentres in diverse locales will have negotiated reasonably optimal peering agreements.

exactly! Also, don't you think its highly unlikely that all of the providers in that country will route data via sub-optimal routes. And if that's true, we can always ask the provider for special arrangements?

If you can afford a few million dollars per year for networking, quite a few options become available.

Can you please elaborate on this? Like exactly what options do I have available and how will they be beneficial as compared to the current arrangement?

I am also in the process of getting a PoC done in next few weeks to get answers to this question but would appreciate your insights too :)

Advertisement

I think it is fair to assume that a company which operates datacentres in diverse locales will have negotiated reasonably optimal peering agreements.

The problem is that "optimal" for an ISP is different from "optimal" for a game player.
An ISP largely worries about cost first, and simple metrics like hop count and loss second.
A game player largely worries about latency, with loss being a secondary metric.
Thus, it is possible that "better" routes through the Internet exists for a gamer, than what he/she will get by default from their ISP.

How much better, and what level of investment it takes to deliver on that promise, is the crux of the question :-)
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement