Data Games

Started by
1 comment, last by Exentro 7 years, 8 months ago

For my thesis I am searching for games which make use of online data, that is orginally not directly related to that game (similar to the idea of fantasy football).

M. Friberger defines this sort of game as Data Games: "... games where gameplay and/or game content is based on real-world data external to the game, and where gameplay supports the exploration of and learning from this data."

Do you know any (experimental) games that use the web as source for ever changing game mechanic variables or even game art? (excluding updates with new content only created for that particular game)

I also posted this question on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/4i1dyt/games_that_use_online_data/

Thanks for your help!

Advertisement

Have you googled "augmented reality game" yet? That's an easy place to start. There's lists of top 5 AR games of X year, and let's play videos on youtube, lots of easy resources.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

All pure simulation games and serious games created for training purposes ?

Some sports video games like football, baseball, soccer, ... where real data are used to create the video game player's players. (Watch the film "Moneyball" for more context). The databases filled with real player performances are also used for guessing what team will win, so it also greatly influence some bet games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement