Indian spam

Started by
8 comments, last by luveti 7 years, 9 months ago

I'm a bit disappointed with Gamedevs handling of this Indian spam. Either just block India, or use some other obvious block... It's not like it's original or anything...

Advertisement

We do have to sleep at sometime. :ph34r:

and the spam is gone.

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
My Website: Indie Game Programming

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/indieprogram

My Book: http://amzn.com/1305076532

and the spam is gone.

And... it's back :)

a bit disappointed with Gamedevs handling of this Indian spam

Flag the posts please (or better, the account).

Either just block India, or use some other obvious block

We're not going to block an entire country just because some users in that country are troublemakers. Further, not all of the spammers originate from IPs in India, nor do they originate from the same IPs in general (as we block them as part of the handling process). Many simply continue to use disposable proxies, which are also used by some legitimate users, so we can't just track down all of the IPs associated with those and ban them either.

It is an unfortunate reality of any online forum that it's going to get spam from time to time. We do the best we can with the tools we have while also trying to preserve the usability of the site for real users, because otherwise what's the point?

Also this is totally not the correct forum for this, moving to CSI.

Just to mention, incase the OP didn't realize, some of our fellow community members actually are from India and surrounding regions. Blocking the entire country would prevent them from staying, or else prevent new members from joining, and it wouldn't stop the spammers anyway.

How about captcha? They probably have bots doing that...

Maybe adding a captcha when a user is posting too much and no one is answering or in a short period of time or, hell with it, every time you post.

I wouldn't mind click on that "I'm not a robot" checkbox from Google every time I need to post.

Ugh. I take it you don't post using mobile then.

Those recaptcha codes are a pain in the ass on mobile...

I will say that in the years that I've been here, I've barely noticed any serious spamming of the site. The few occasions where I've noticed it, it's been dealt with quickly. So whatever you guys have been doing to combat spam looks good from my perspective.

Ugh. I take it you don't post using mobile then.

Those recaptcha codes are a pain in the ass on mobile...

That new one with only a checkbox works well even on mobile, the only case I had to input anything was using private mode and even then I only had to choose between photos of numbers and trees, no writting.

Recaptcha_anchor@2x.gif

I've been getting a lot of spam lately too. It typically shows up in the form of a dozen or so emails! :blink: Could you guys extend the sites backend to look for common phases of text that look like spam? A common thing I'm seeing in these post are repeated words, for example in this post, http://www.gamedev.net/topic/680862-%D9%83%D9%8A%D9%81-%D9%86%D8%AD%D8%B5%D9%84-%D8%B9%D9%84%D9%89-%D8%B5%D9%8A%D8%A7%D9%86%D8%A9-%D9%83%D9%84%D9%81%D9%8A%D9%86%D9%8A%D8%AA%D9%88%D8%B1-0235700994-%D8%A7%D8%AC%D9%87%D8%B2%D8%A9-%D9%83%D9%84%D9%81%D9%8A%D9%86%D9%8A%D8%AA%D9%88%D8%B1-0111/#entry5302932, the word / name "kelvinator" is repeated several dozen times. A few lines of php could easily scan the post and determine that this is spam :)

If you guys are looking for some help backend wise, I would be more than welcome to help! My day job involves a lot of PHP! :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement