What Language Is Best For Game Programming?

Started by
15 comments, last by Brain 7 years, 9 months ago

This is not a 'language' as you're looking for, but I would go for this:

C with clanlib

Many 2D games are done using this library under Linux, which is also portable.

https://github.com/sphair/ClanLib

Advertisement

Yes, I do know there is on such thing as a good programming language for game development. Maybe you can supply me one based on what I want to do?

So I've been thinking about game development, and have come to the conclusion that thats what I want to do with my life. Then, I decided that I should create one lol, and I looked at what I was going to be taking on, money, etc.

The only question is what is the best programming language for the game I want to make?

Here is what the game would be:

• 2D
  • Indie Game
  • Pixel Art

I am looking for a programming language(s) that:

• Easily have a GUI ( pop-out window ) with code, not anything external
  • Doesn't matter if its really hard or really easy
  • Works on Linux ( My current OS ) windows and Mac OS
  • Can be executed by being clicked on ( Feel stupid for asking this, but I think I need to for some reason )

I know it will be more than one language for the different OS's.

Also, if there is a could tutorial on the programming language(s) could you recommend me one? A book maybe?

Thanks a ton!

Your Question is wrong. It is not "What Programming Language I should Use" but "What Game Engine I Should Use". GUI, execution by clicking, etc. These are all elements of a game engine created with a programming language. And you want to be cross platform. Judging by the question, if you just want to make games, get a game engine and learn it's scripting / programming language. But; honestly, I would recommend learning basic computer science as well to under stand some concepts no matter what engine / language you go with. Unless it is JavaScript, you can pretty much get away with not knowing anything about programming when you write JavaScript :wink:

What Language Is Best For Game Programming?

I prefer Esperanto.

?efa_buklo() {
  dt = horlo?o()
  legi_enigo()
  ?isdatigo_logiko(dt)
  kuri_fiziko(dt)
  remizo()
}

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

"I know it will be more than one language for the different OS's."

In some cases, this is unfortunately true. If you decide to take the c++ route, you may have trouble getting a game made for the Mac, as it does not have very good c++ support (it recommends objective C with Cocoa). If you choose Java, you will have the best multi-platform support, but the language is always changing constantly, and it is very slow compared to c++.

You may not have to use different languages sometimes, but you will have to make separate builds of libraries and your program to work on different operating/game systems.

From the sound of it, it looks like your best option would be Java with LWJGL.

It's up to you. Pick your poison.

View my game dev blog here!

In some cases, this is unfortunately true. If you decide to take the c++ route, you may have trouble getting a game made for the Mac, as it does not have very good c++ support (it recommends objective C with Cocoa). If you choose Java, you will have the best multi-platform support, but the language is always changing constantly, and it is very slow compared to c++.

Huh? My engine is in C++ and my primary development platform is OS X. You need objective-C to interface with the Cocoa frameworks but everything else can be written in C++. There is even the so-called "Objective-C++" (.mm) that makes it easy to write C++ wrappers to the Objective-C stuff.

Forget choosing a language. Choose an engine. The language you use will be dictated by what the engine supports.

Current best options for engines for your game include:

• Unity (C#)
  • Unreal (Blueprints and C++)
  • Game Maker (GML)

I'm personally biased towards Unity, but great games have been made in all of the engines above.

Forget choosing a language. Choose an engine. The language you use will be dictated by what the engine supports.

Current best options for engines for your game include:

• Unity (C#)
  • Unreal (Blueprints and C++)
  • Game Maker (GML)
I'm personally biased towards Unity, but great games have been made in all of the engines above.
There's one important cautionary note here; if learning a programming language can be likened to learning a spoken language then learning a language alongside an engine might be likened to learning a language with an accent in a local dialect.

This is because engines often subtly change the language.

For example unity uses an older form of C# from mono 2.0 while UE4 adds it's own constructs and framework to standard C++ as a set of defines and templates that implement reflection etc.

95% of what you learn will carry over to generic use of that language while some will not. Make sure you're aware what's the language and what's added by your engine so you don't assume later :)

And yes choose an engine. For beginners and C# practitioners go for unity and if you prefer a C++ and are reasonably experienced go for unreal engine instead.

Both will give you lots of leg-up into the games industry once you know them well.

I can't vouch for game maker as I've never used it but u do know it's language is specific to game maker so if you learn it it isn't useful anywhere else but learning the general concepts of programming such as loop and conditionals will be of use.

Have fun!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement