Motion sickness

Started by
26 comments, last by bennyanggara1990 6 years, 9 months ago

Anybody here remember when the original DOOM came out with its up and down walk motion (which DID make me feel queasy and took a while for my brain to filter out)

Another issue for new tech like this - that your daily 'sense of balance' is more dependent on visual cues than people might think (if they are 'off' in the game then that spells trouble - particularly for 'standing' type interfaces)

--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact
Advertisement

I always got dizzy after playing htc vive. :ph34r:

From my experience, as everyone said, it does depend on so many factors.

For me, when it's room scale VR, I tend to not get sick, as long as the tracking actually follows me (Played a bunch of Robo Recall, it's just amazing!), but then, I've had about 100h in a VR headset, mostly Oculus Rift CV1, on high end PCs that have no issue running the games at 90FPS steadily.

During my testing days, the simplest hitch and dip in FPS would make me sick right away. A good tool to help ease the motion sickness is Ginger Ale (like Canada Dry). The ginger and the bubbles help steady the stomach.

And then, like so many said, some games are comfortable in the way they are designed, some are not. Even though I'm used to VR, I can't play lucky's tale. I just get sick in about 5 minutes. Something with the way the movement is handled.

Overall, it's different for everyone. Some people can't bare not seeing what is around them, and therefore simply can't use VR, some others get sick quickly, some others don't. You do get used to it, I think, but you have to see if the process of getting used to it is worth it (IMO, it definitely is!). It's definitely a try before you buy thing, where you should try it on a system as close to what you will have as you can.

Aurelien Folie - Odin - Founder of Asgaard Studio

Creator of unique, bespoke experiences

Gentleman Extraordinaire

Played lots of VR prototypes, games and tested some samples repos.

Motion sickness usually happens when your eyes and your vestibular system (inner ear) disagree. your eyes are feeling one sense of acceleration and your inner ear is told otherwise. same reaction happens when drunk.

the fix would be usually to apply constant velocity and instant teleportations. or when moving, also narrowing the Camera's FOV.

I spent an entire weekend on the Oculus Rift in probably about 10 hour sessions each with zero motion sickness running off a GTX1080.

I had the first developer kit and the commercial Oculus Rift is a big improvement over that. With the DK1, I played with it for maybe a couple days and experienced a bit of a headache after spending about a full hour with it. I'm not overly prone to motion sickness but have been sea-sick before. I didn't play with the DK1 long enough to really get sick but in the few sessions I did spend with it I had only minor issues I was not even certain were caused by the VR. Still, I did experience what might be seen as some mild motion sickness after an hour or so.

I agree with Tbiblopper's statement that "Motion sickness usually happens when your eyes and your inner ear disagree".

I've heard several theories on what causes motion sickness with VR and how an artificial nose or something would make all the difference. But I think the mismatch between the inner ear and the eyes is really the key. And low frame rates seem to be the most likely culprit to me.

Regardless, I've got about 20 hours of playing Skyrim (a game not even designed remotely for VR) through VorpX without even the slightest hint of motion sickness. I've even spent a little time on horse-back which I thought for certain would cause some motion sickness because the motion is pretty crazy, and nothing.

For me, I get motion sickness rapidly in non-VR when I watch someone else play any 3D game, but very rarely when I'm playing it myself.

The only reasoning I can come up for this type of sickness is that there's some kind of mismatch between what my mind THINKS will happen next, vs. what actually happens.

I also get motion sickness slowly in non-VR when FOV is too narrow or the camera bobs up/down/left/right (basically any game which tries to simulate the camera moving based on your character's head height does it to me).
On 8/15/2016 at 2:55 AM, chloeschmoe said:

So I tried this out for the first time... and it made me very sick! Took me like 3 hours to recover from it :/ Anyone else felt this from VR?

Just got sick but not until 3 hours to recover , u need to prepare first or maybe some people dont strong enough to endure

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement